What size shaper motor?

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello All,

I’ll be starting on restoring an old 8” aamco shaper next week for the Hawaii Railway Society back shops museum. It has been in storage for many years. Somewhere along the way, someone lost the original electric motor and pulley that used to power this little beast. Anyone recommend what size motor we might put on it?

Iam thinking probably 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp might be appropriate...

Guess I should also ask what speed the motor should be??

Also, the motor side four step pulley, is missing. Would it be the same diameters as the four step pulley on the shaper input shaft?

Thanks much,
Glenn Brooks

Last edited:
Vintage Machinery has a manual in PDF for the 7” Ammco shaper, it lists the motor size as 1/3 hp. Does not describe the 4-step pulley other than for shaft size of 5/8”. There’s a couple members have them though, so maybe somebody can measure for you.

E637C8B7-971F-4D23-99D2-C757F7B7E847.png

Most of the small shapers use 1/3 to 1/2 HP motors.
The low speed is usually around 40 strokes per minute so a jack shaft or a large sheave after the motor is employed to get the rpm down
before the step sheave.
Just pull up some pictures and it will be clear. There are plenty on this site.

My old Ammco 7" shaper has an old 1/4hp motor.
the motor really makes 1/4 hp.

i would lean to 1/3 or 1/2 hp if i were to do a retrofit

My old Ammco 7" shaper has an old 1/4hp motor.
the motor really makes 1/4 hp.

i would lean to 1/3 or 1/2 hp if i were to do a retrofit
My AMMCO 7" shaper also has a 1/4 hp motor. It's a Baldor 110/220 single phase that runs at 1425 rpm. I'm sure it's the original since this machine came from The Badger Ammunition Works when it was closed several years ago. The gentleman that was head of the electrical department there became the head of the electrical division in the department of the company I worked for just before the Ammunition Works went into "moth balls" in 1974.

Over the years we had a good working relationship, and when I purchased the shaper I showed it to him. He recalled it being in the machine shop at the Ammunition Works. It was primarily used to make brass tools for use in the powder mixing rooms, and other hazardous areas. All tools in those areas like wrenches, screw drivers, ratchets, sockets, and even hammers were made of brass so they wouldn't create sparks if dropped or struck with another object.

As for replacing the motor I would sick with a 1/4hp, or go to a 1/3 hp at the most. Keep in mind the Bull Gear is phenolic, and it's very hard to find replacements. With the lesser hp motors the motor will stall out rather than break teeth off the bull gear. Having said that I use mine fairly regularly and have yet to take cuts deep enough or wide enough to stress the machine.

The step pulleys on mine are identical.

Here are a few pictures of my machine:

DSCF8024.JPG

DSCF8025.JPG

DSC09994.JPG

Thanks for the photos. Nice looking machine. Just noticed your motor mount looks similar to SB lathe back gear mounts- having a shaft running side to side to power the rear step pulley. Ours is missing, so need to fab something up, or maybe find on on line.

Last edited:
Back