What size spline wrench for spindle rf31?

Funny.....I've had one of those machines for 30 yrs and never used a spline wrench.:dunno:

Funny.....I've had one of those machines for 30 yrs and never used a spline wrench.:dunno:

How do you hold the spindle still while loosening or tightening the drawbar?

I would really like to be surprised by an easy method of holding without the spline wrench.

I just hold on to the spindle pulley. Never had any problems with collets coming loose. Like most users of these machines, I leave the top cover off.

I usually just grab one of the belts and squeeze the sides together to create a pinch force on the pulley.
Works for me so far.

Got mill? Make your own. I made this one for a Grizzly G0755 from 3/8" 6061.

Great drawing RJ, I'd like to make one myself but have a few very novice questions first. Obviously the "R" numbers refer to radius, does the circle with a line through it stand for Diameter? Also, you have two angles marked out, not sure what point of stating those angles is. Thanks, JR49

I bought one on sale for $10, about 2 yrs ago, added to the cart, to get up to the minimum for free shipping. I’ve never used it or even see if it fit, I just use the spindle brake when loosening or tightening the drawbar. The wrench is in a box, somewhere in the basement.

I just hold on to the spindle pulley. Never had any problems with collets coming loose. Like most users of these machines, I leave the top cover off.
I use the pulley on my old mill/drill too. The G0755 doesn't have a pulley; it's gear driven.

Great drawing RJ, I'd like to make one myself but have a few very novice questions first. Obviously the "R" numbers refer to radius, does the circle with a line through it stand for Diameter? Also, you have two angles marked out, not sure what point of stating those angles is. Thanks, JR49
Yes, R for radius and the Greek letter phi (circle with line through it) for diameter. SolidWorks uses radius for dimensioning partial circles and diameter for complete circles. The two angles are the start and end of the fillet. I used my RT to make the wrench and that was the rotation angle of the table. It's not critical to the function of the wrench and the fillet could be made with a little hand filing.

Back