What sort of stuff to get with a 10x30 lathe?

Oh no what have I done, its in the house now...

I will think about putting some plywood down over my old carpet.

I have a downstairs storage but its not sealed, it floods in the winter and only 3 walls are sealed, one is a vented lattice type.

I am amazed with all the knowledge on this forum. So much to learn about and do before making my 1st chips.

Hope you all get a good laugh about this being my second lathe, tons of experience on it...HAHA

cleaning.JPG

bondolayden.JPG

crossupclose.JPG

details.JPG

my2lathes.JPG

qctp.JPG

roughabit.JPG

view slide.JPG

Last edited:
I have started a shopping cart for critical items that I need to set up and make 1st cuts on my lathe;
starrett 98-4 4" level
magnetic base with fine adjustment &SAE dial 1" travel, accuracy 0.001 mag base MBDIAP
anytime tools premium dial calipers 0-6"/.001" precision double shock proof hardened stainless

Just checking to make sure its not junk?
I think this is about minimum measuring devices just to level and check alignment on the lathe.
But I have no experience so I am looking to you all, thanks!!

I do hope you have a machine shop supply house near by. Either that or enough cash to buy out a retiring machinist's tool box. It is amazing the number of items that are needed to complete a project. I started with nothing, have spent a goodly amount on shipping, let alone the tools. Its like home repair jobs. Three trips to the lumber yard, two to the hardware store and you still aren't done. At some point, you will have accumulated enough tooling to make what you don't have, but it's going to be a chicken and the egg scenario in the beginning.

That rings true here.
I rate a home fix job by how many trips to Home depot it takes..haha

So not a lot of opinions on my measuring items I am about to get.

I was told the 6" precision micrometer / dial caliper was a required item for the lathe. My friend said they had him by the starrett one for his lathe class 20 yrs ago.

The dial indicator, with the push pin that measures on a magnetic base is another measuring item I thought was required for any machine work. Just not sure if this item needs a 1" travel or a .0125" travel, confused on this one.

Sounds like the precision machinist level is not needed now, very confused on this item as well.

No machine shop within 40 miles of me. I here a blue collar supply shop is in Sacramento.

Should I even bother with the level? Will the 4" or 6" starrett level be better/ more useful than a 8" precision leveler graduation .005 bar measurement ruler Vgroove base?

Or would a kit like Fowlers 52-229-780 indicator, mag base, dial caliper & micrometer combo set be a good deal to start with?

Unfortunately, chips in the house will be inevidable no matter where the machine is. Even with thorough cleaning, they will get caught in socks, on the bottoms of shoes, in hair, etc and find their way inside. I have even found chips at my parents house 2500 miles away from my shop. They must have hitched a ride on me somehow. But by having a pair of dedicated shop shoes, making sure people don't walk through your shop, and cleaning up regularly, you should keep the mess to a minimum.

I am the same height as you and built a 42" bench for the 7x12 lathe I had, but now with the 1030, I need to stand on a stool to get a good view. I think dropping it down to 36" would have been better.

Stick with the half inch tools if you can. I have some 1/4" tools, and they are dwarfed by the half inch ones. Much more sturdy for sure. I am glad you liked the suppressor, its been a long time since anyone mentioned that one. The lathe is certainly capable of muzzle brakes and the other things you mentioned.

Good luck when it arrives!

I have the same issue, the shop is 30 feet from the house, sweep and keep as many chips off of me, do not wear shoes in the house from the shop, and keep the shop clothes separate. With all that an occasional chip gets in the house then it’s the madam who steps on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sounds about right.
I am getting a comfortable set of work shoes and thinking some short sleeve cover-alls should work nice.

Also looking into getting my shop vac set up with extra hose to help suck up chips easy.

Or would a kit like Fowlers 52-229-780 indicator, mag base, dial caliper & micrometer combo set be a good deal to start with?

One thing about buying a starter kit, such as the Fowler one or others, is that it gets you pretty much up and running right out of the gate. No, the tools are not likely going to turn into family heirlooms, but unless you are extremely unlucky they will all work right out of the box. And for a novice who is maybe not sure of the tools and instruments this can be very useful at the beginning. You will second guess your own skills enough without having to wonder if your second-hand gauge is measuring correctly. Save that for later when you know what to expect out of the instrument.

The less expensive starter set also gives you an opportunity to try the tools on for size without spending a whole whack of cash. Depending on what types of things you make, you may find you want tools more specific to those things. Smaller, more sensitive test indicators versus more standard, larger travel indicators. Different strokes for different folks, as they say, and rest assured that if you stay with this hobby for any length of time the first set of tools will be a long way from your last. But by then, you will be able to make your own informed decisions based on the likes and dislikes you've discovered along the way.

And then there's always the "what if you drop the fancy mic or crash your machine into the pricey indicator?" It happens, and it's a lot easier to swallow $25 versus $250, at least when you're just starting out.

That's just my suggestion. There is, as usual, lots of good advice from many experienced people and an equal amount of ways to approach the situation. Good luck!

-frank

Last edited:
Thank you so much for shining a light on this for me.
So many things to learn with a metal lathe for me, it gets a little overwhelming.

I have changed my mind on so many things, I wanted a little guidance on this. I like to take my time and figure out exactly what I need and then hunt it down. Thank God for copy google search on items and there model numbers so I can see specs on the tools and find out more info on terminology and such. I glossed right over layout fluid. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the help!!!

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to have shifted away from layout dye in favour of "sharpie" type markers. Seems to get them to the same place without fussing with the liquid. I still like using the liquid myself, but I can see the appeal of the marker. Easier to come by, too.

-frank

Thanks for the input, never heard of the sharpie trick.
How bad does layout fluid smell? vs sharpie?

Back