What spline is it?

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm trying to identify a spline on a shaft The OD is 28mm or 1.1", ID is 23mm or 0.906" with 6 splines. Spline width is 6.36mm or 0.25" it appears to be a bit of a mix between metric and imperial. Any ideas please.

First you must determine the tooth profile, straight, involute or other, this may be difficult.
The dimension data is readily available on the web, spline pitch diameters may be measured over wires as is done with threads and spur gears. MH has a few pages of data for measuring odd number tooth gears and splines over wires

Thanks RJ, It looks like I may have a hybrid the ID and OD are standard metric sizes 23 and 28 mm but the tooth width is odd, should be 6mm but is 6.36 = 1/4"It's a milling machine spindle, and maybe they don't want anyone buying standard spline parts off the shelf from other suppliers. I'll talk to the machines agent here see what they can offer.

First you must determine the tooth profile, straight, involute or other, this may be difficult.
The dimension data is readily available on the web, spline pitch diameters may be measured over wires as is done with threads and spur gears. MH has a few pages of data for measuring odd number tooth gears and splines over wires

Thanks P Waller,

It appears to have 3 facets on the side wall of the tooth, I would have expected involute to be a curve, Part of the side is straight, parallel with the other side, that's the bit I measured to be 6.36mm, then the top corner is like a chamfer rather that a gear profile, the bottom corners also appear as a chamfer, I have sent an email to the machines agent here, I guess I'm stuck with their part at their price.

Thanks RJ, It looks like I may have a hybrid the ID and OD are standard metric sizes 23 and 28 mm but the tooth width is odd, should be 6mm but is 6.36 = 1/4"It's a milling machine spindle, and maybe they don't want anyone buying standard spline parts off the shelf from other suppliers. I'll talk to the machines agent here see what they can offer.
I checked my mill/drill spindle and it is a 23 x 28 mm with 6.32mm at the root of the spline and 5.97mm at the O.D. I suspect that yours is a 23 x 28 x 6 mm.

I checked my mill/drill spindle and it is a 23 x 28 mm with 6.32mm at the root of the spline and 5.97mm at the O.D. I suspect that yours is a 23 x 28 x 6 mm.

Thanks RJ. rechecked, and mine is definitely 23 x 28mm on ID and OD but the spline itself is 6.36 up the side, there is a small chamfer the top (not a square edge and also a small chamfer or radius at the root. but the sides are not shaped like a gear tooth. I've sent a message to the agents here asking them.

Hi Bob, at first I thought it was impetric but its probably metrial seeing as your in australia :laughing:

Thanks Charles, I knew you would have an intelligent answer to this dilemma. Although I like the sound of impetric better. The mill quill and spindle was made by Liang Dei the makers of my lathe and I bought it from the same people I bought my lathe from, so I'm sure they will be able to sort out the problem and supply me with the proper matching pulley setup. I just have the feeling it won't be cheap, so I was trying to save some money. I expect to hear from them early next week.

Back