What success and failure have you had with a lathe milling attachment?

I have done some milling in my lathe just by bolting / clamping the part to the cross slide, and holding the cutter in the chuick.

As I simply don't have room for a milling machine, I'm in the process of making a milling attachment for the lathe it will be a vertical spindle when finished.

Last edited:
more pics Bob or you know it means its not happening :laughing:

I have not even touched it since my last post on it, with pics, Too many other things happening. I thought now we're in lock down I'd get some time in The shop, but no such luck. Spending half of every day going from shop to shop just trying to find the stuff we need..

It will happen eventually.

Yours look great as well. What size of lathe are you using? What size is your angle iron? It looks like you just take he compound off and use it vertically, is that correct?

My lathe is a 12x36 CT043N. The angle iron is 6''x4''x 5/16.
Yes the compound comes off the cross slide and is mounted on the angle iron.
At first the plate was mounted facing the headstock but it looked like a lot of overhang.
IMG_1609.JPG
So the plate was remounted facing the tailstock. It also provided for a more rigid set up because the compound could be supported by a block added to the floor of the plate.
IMG_0244.JPG

BTW just to pass on a tip that epanzella gave me back then, do not use the compound mounting bolts to mount the angle plate. It might cost you a new cross slide.

I do have a 6"x6"x 1/2" chunk of angle iron. I could make something like that.
My lathe is a 12x36 CT043N. The angle iron is 6''x4''x 5/16.
Yes the compound comes off the cross slide and is mounted on the angle iron.
At first the plate was mounted facing the headstock but it looked like a lot of overhang.
View attachment 319459
So the plate was remounted facing the tailstock. It also provided for a more rigid set up because the compound could be supported by a block added to the floor of the plate.
View attachment 319460

BTW just to pass on a tip that epanzella gave me back then, do not use the compound mounting bolts to mount the angle plate. It might cost you a new cross slide.

I bet that you could. If I can be of any help just let me know.

do you recall where you saw those plans?
A "milling attachment" is officially called a key way cutter. They really aren't for milling.

That said, I have done milling with a home made attachment. There are plans out there for making an attachment using cold rolled stock that includes a slot table. If you don't have room for a mill, or can't afford one, you can build an attachment cheaper than an official attachment. Just remember that it isn't as rigid, and such you should take very light cuts. Use collets in the headstock to hold end mills (drill chucks and lathe chucks aren't good).

joe

Here is a link to the plans I used. I bought an angle plate large enough, and set it up to attach to the compound (in place of the slide), It worked fairly well for what I needed. I built it a big larger (25%) for a 9" south bend junior, but that was a mistake - I should have left it in it's original size.

https://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/lathe-milling-attach-plans.pdf

Here was my implementation :

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

It was about as stable as the Harbor Freight mini mill I have. I don't have room for a larger, real mill yet, so I'm stuck with these smaller options (just like the original poster).

Back