What the heck?

That much I could deal with but this was 3 tenths of an inch bigger.
I wish I’d taken a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suggestion: start taking pictures of all that you're doing. Do you have an unused phone laying around? Use that for photos in the shop so as not to risk your daily phone.
Give us a list of what you bought, the chuck it went on - details. Let's see what's what.
Pictures help to figure out the situ.

Suggestion: start taking pictures of all that you're doing. Do you have an unused phone laying around? Use that for photos in the shop so as not to risk your daily phone.
Give us a list of what you bought, the chuck it went on - details. Let's see what's what.
Pictures help to figure out the situ.
Will do!

Their design is faulty if cutting the plate to match the diameter of the chuck results in a sharp edge and potential for injury. When I get a stupid response from an underling I go straight to the President of the company and let him/her know that if I am injured as a result of their poor design then I would be very unhappy. That usually results in memos flying all over the place and my problem is usually resolved to my satisfaction. Don't accept an unreasonable response from the support dept; go over them.

I agree the backplate not matching the chuck diameter would be super annoying, but if they don't direct you to cut the outside diameter to the chuck size then I would unfortunately argue that it isn't their fault. Bad design perhaps. Just a bit of an unfortunate situation.

I got backplates from little machineshop. The only downside is that they are not predrilled for the chuck, so you have to drill and tap your own holes. Good quality plates and if the holes to match up you can only blame yourself.

LMS is primarily focused on mini-lathes but they to carry a lot of stuff for 10" lathes. I have had no issues with anything I've bought from them.

Shars is ok, but issues are not unknown.

I agree the backplate not matching the chuck diameter would be super annoying, but if they don't direct you to cut the outside diameter to the chuck size then I would unfortunately argue that it isn't their fault. Bad design perhaps. Just a bit of an unfortunate situation.
There instructions are expressly about turning the register. They don't mention anything about the diameter though I expect they will update they based on my feedback.

Let's see the chuck, the back plate, and how it mounts first before getting all up in arms with first tier customer support.

These (3) are for my 1440. Look at the one that is currently mounted. Bolt heads in the open.
Need to watch then when operating. The 3-jaw removable jaws one in the second photo has the cap screws recessed, and the 4-jaw has the mounting screws coming from the front.
0122201437__R.jpg...0122201438__R.jpg
Then on the small 3-jaw for my Logan take a look at how close the c'bores came to the outer edge.
0122201438a__R.jpg...0122201438b__R.jpg

One lesson to be learned here -- regardless of who may or may not be at fault -- is you gotta be aware of where you're cutting. Too easy to get all absorbed in how nicely the chips are coming off, you need to know your measurements and what happens as you near them. Kind of like hitting the faceplate screws at the bottom of the bowl or running a boring bar through until you hit the chuck jaws ..... :(

There instructions are expressly about turning the register. They don't mention anything about the diameter though I expect they will update they based on my feedback.

Did the bolts holes, (qty 4) line up correctly?
- What is the diameter of the counter-bore in the back plate measuring?
- Also need the center thru hole diameter dimension. Is it 1.57" or 2.16"?
On their drawings in their catalog they show
m10's for the 202-6579
and
m8's for the 202-6579a
But then also - they're showing a drawing of a front mount chuck...
Something is not quite right here. Their drawings aren't quite in sync with the item.
Going off the link you posted the drawing calls for m8's.
I'm wondering if the c'bores are for m10's possibly.
Post some picts of the piece when you can.

Back