What to coat bridgeport with after cleaning to keep from rusting

bobdog

Registered
Registered
Just cleaned up my Bridgeport and want to coat it with some kind of rust preventer but dont want something that attracts dust . And something that will coat it without staining paint. Still using it so dont want to coat it to store it. Some say WD40 but need any opinions on other coatings that other have used that works ? Thanks

I kinda like Fluid Film - basically aerosol lanolin. Farm supply stores (among others) sell it. You can spray it on and wipe it down to a very thin film. It's OK on paint (non staining), but does smell like sheep, which that might be objectionable to some.

Just for fun (and to save $), I've tried making my own. Bought a jar of anhydrous lanolin on Amazon and experimented with several solvents as carriers. It's most soluble in turpentine; WD40 and (cheap) kerosene work almost as well. I keep a jar of the mix on hand, and occasionally wipe it on my machines with a paper towel.

Everything I've heard about WD40 is that it's neither a long term rust preventative treatment nor a good lubricant (at least not by itself). I do use it, usually mixed with lard, for machining aluminum.

I'm with Ken - I use wax, usually paste wax but I'm going to try polymer auto wax next.

Boeshield T9 is an option that I have had very good luck with. It is an aerosol that is easy to apply.

upload_2017-6-29_23-21-59.png

Johnson or minwax (spelling?) Are both good stuff.

The later has carnauba which is very hard.

Problem is oils cut the way so these are cool for non sliding parts.

Another magic juice is "no-ox-id" and it is not real common in proper form.

It is a grease that bonds at atomic level with the material.

It was developed for coating inside of water tanks.

Current use is commercial battery plants for electrical connections.

Clean with solvent then rub it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Ospho!! Cheap, easy to use; no sticky residue when oils and or solvents are used on the surface treated.No need for repeat applications. I use it on a lot of the shops metal surfaces.

I know some of you guys like WD-40, in humid environments, it will cause that brown stuff to start growing on all of the bare metal surfaces. Not a good thing unless you like that new patina look! Wax and good old ISO 46 works in my book!

Back