What to coat bridgeport with after cleaning to keep from rusting

Only thing ill say is if you like your machine never trust wd40 . It's only claim is a water displacer. It works well to draw water out of items , but left as a protection from rust , IT DONT WORK. The best way is the oil soaked rag method and I add gear oil in mine for its tackyness. Minwax hand rub tub wax will really do a good job old time carpenter's use it on machines, planes, saw blades. Good stuff.a pound can last for years.

On areas where oil will be we use this mix recipe we stop from the engine shop we worked in back in the late 70s.

In a spray bottle 1 part cheap motor oil and 10 parts solvent.

Spray it on to wet the surface then the solvent evaporates leaving a very thin film of the oil.

Works well for rust busting too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Second the Boeshield T9. Developed by Boeing for long term storage of aerospace parts. I use it on the mill table under the vise, precision squares, etc. Stuff that gets put away and not used often. I spray it on, spread it out in a thin film, and let it dry. Leaves a waxy/oily film that stops rust from occurring. Never had any rust on anything I've coated.
Get some inexpensive bed sheets at a yard sale. I've got several sets that I purchased for $1 and use them as machine covers (Bridgeport, lathes, drill press, etc). Helps keep the dust off the machines.

If I'm leaving something unused for a while and don't mind spending some money I've had good success spaying the Barricade product from Birchwood Casey. The firearm spray works nicely and it don't stink like the lube oils. I would use Barricade a lot more if I had money to burn, it does work nicely though. Its about the same price as good dry style motorcycle chain lube too. For about $10, you can get a large spray can of Original Bike Spirits chain lube. It dries and is not overly sticky, makes a thin protective film. I have motorcycles, so I tried it on other stuff and yep, works good as a protectant on most things.

If it can be a little messy, I brush on Tractor Supply Bar and Chain oil. Its fairly thin with some sticking ability and around $10 a gallon. Lowes sales their version of WD40 in the blaster line, its cheaper although not that great to smell. I like WD40 better, but the Blaster brand can be had for less at Lowes. Harbor Freight usually has the gallon jugs of WD40 or Liquid Wrench for $20 or so. TSC Chain and Bar oil is half the price though. So many options, I mix it and use whats on sale.

I gotta try that Boeshield T9 I've heard it beats the pants off WD40
pricey though
Mark

It sounds odd, but occasionally I use furniture spray polish (like Pledge) on bare metal. It creates a wax film and is easily taken off with solvent. I always have it around (for some reason the cans stay full) and it's inexpensive.
Jim

Back