What to consider in vise selection

Isn't this what you're looking for?

that's realistically what I probably will end up with

I cant remember the rules on posting links but the tegra 660U "style" was what I was talking about that seemed pretty interesting in how its built and can be used in other orientations and or designed so it can be clamped along the edges if you need unusual positioning, or depending on the normal mount points afford additional Y travel by clamping to table with the back edge flush, though I guess you could do that on any vise in a pinch though I think the castings around the edges are somewhat thinner

In any case I am at least at terms with going with a sort of middle of the road Taiwan made vise or maybe used kurt or the like if I stumble across something decent.

I am still overall a bit curious as to the styles of back "block" of the vise mounts where the block is keyed with a separate key, or the key is milled into the jaw block or entirely cast as the same part of the base. At this point I think I'm certainly going too far down the rabbit hole logically all exist for a reason and its more about the quality of the material and execution that matters.

certainly a lot of good info, and much appreciated.

I should add that used vises, unless they are completely trashed (you will easily detect a bad one) are a very good value, if available.

...But you can get a 6" Kurt DX6 for about $500 from a few places...
Yeah I paid about the same - shipped. I don't know whether the OP honestly thinks that a Kurt DX6 is $800, or if it was just dramatic exaggeration.

Last edited:
I bought a Kurt DX4 in December. Honestly I couldn’t believe how much better it was than my old CDCO 4” vise. No, it wasn’t cheap. Yes, it was money well spent.

I got my DX6 for under 700$ Canadian, shipped to my local merchant. The Taiwanese clone of the same vise was 530$ from the same vendor.

4" works well on my Rockwell. I added outside jaws a bit taller than the inside ones and cut off the cast in coolant trough on the back for more clearance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Get one from Little Machine Shop, good price, works, pick the size you want

For comparison this is a 5” vise on a 9-1/2x32-1/2” table on my Griz G1007.
I was torn between a 4” & 5” when I purchased.
Bought the 5”, woulda been happy either way.
For a bit over $100. I can’t believe how accurate it is.
I wanted a Glacern or a Tegara, but for what I do this one is fine.
BTW, this is 4.375 hangover, i use DRO but it does not block the Y scale if it is needed.
Of course YMMV.
Cheers, Harvey

Attachments

• A0D1B5D2-D5D3-42F1-AB6C-44D363ED0C09.jpeg
    A0D1B5D2-D5D3-42F1-AB6C-44D363ED0C09.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Back