What To Do Before Firing Up The Bridgeport For The First Time

Vladymere

Active User
Registered
Gentlemen,

I have a series 1 Bridgeport mill that has been in storage for about 10 years, the first nine years with the head turned upside down. I did not run it before purchasing this mill.

I had the table and saddle off to clean the Z screw and gears and the X and Y screws and nut assembly as well as the saddle and table. All was pretty clean inside as if it had been rebuilt at one time and not used much before the previous owner died.

It also had a horrible coat of paint on it which I am sure the previous owner did not do but perhaps a machine re-builder did. It was obvious that it was painted while the machine was fully assembled.

My thoughts are to fill the oil cups and lubricate the head as prescribed, let it sit a day and then fire it up to see and hear how it runs. I did not run it before purchasing this mill.

Would you experienced users do anything different?

TIA,

Vlad

Good idea Coolidge.

I think I answered my own question though. The spindle turns freely but the quill gets stiff to move the lower down it gets and the back speed clutch is stuck, unable to turn it. Guess I ought to sort these issues out first.

Any thoughts as to why the quill gets stiff to move?

Vlad

The belt is likely to have a serious set in it. Might help to turn it by hand so the part on the pulleys is now straight and leave it a while. If you have a VFD running it very slow for a while would help.

That seems reasonable. Start at low speed, and let it run for a bit to warm up. Maybe 10 minutes in both FOR and REV just to make sure the spindle bearings get lubed.

The quill issue is probably lack of lubrication. I would use some light oil in the rear oil cup, and refill several times, you really can't over oil it. From there is just runs down into the well around the top of the quill. Then work the quill up and down a lot, it will probably loosen up.

Defiantly fix the back gear clutch, probably lubrication also, light oil again until you get it loosened up.

Last edited:
No VFD but I will set the belt for the lowest speed and have it in back gear also.

Vlad

I read in a thread last night that the four head clamping nuts should be torqued to 25 foot pounds and that if over tightened they can distort the head casting causing the quill to bind. This morning I checked to see if this is my issue with the quill sticking at the bottom of it's travel. This was not my issue so the head is coming apart. I've already started the process.

Vlad

You could put a little kerosene in the oil cups first let sit overnite then add the oil it calls for. Let sit a few hrs to push thru any loosened up thick gunk. The let her warm up slowly . Even loosen the belt so it can slip just in case during first run. It should loosen up if not then tear it down the kero will help clean anyway.

Back