What to do with a pneumatic air press?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I saved the press below from the dumpster at work.
It's rated at 120psi max. Does the ram behave like a "snap acting" solenoid?
I have no specific application nor do I know how it might be used.
How might it be used or re-purposed?

Pneumatic air press.jpg

Can you use it for a pneumatic draw bar? I've seen Belleville washers used to provide the tension and a pneumatic cylinder used to compress the washers and thus release.

Last edited:
Even if you don't use the pneumatics, that stand would make an excellent tapping machine.
90 degrees every time.
-brino

At one time I think it had valves on the in and out air lines to slow it down.

Its an Air-Mite press, they may not make them anymore like that one. I can't tell what model it is, I'm guessing AP4, thats a 2" cylinder.

The company name is under new ownership, but the new fellow is supporting the old stuff. There is a company website. They come in various strokes and sizes, that looks totally stripped. Probably a leaker, they require regular maintenance.

Its used for punching holes, stamping circuit boards, crimping, forming metal with a punch die etc. Most are set up using a foot switch, I've seen electric controls and manual pneumatic hand switches. Think of it as an air powered arbor press. They are useful and have many, many applications.

Also: you can find the control switches used on eBay. You need to determine the model, is it a dual action or single? They can be converted back and forth, but the control air switch need to match the press action. The press can be run directly off a normal air hose, no valves needed unless its dual action and you want to speed up the strokes. Thats not needed unless your in a production setting with a quick repeating process and a good operator. I've only seen them manually operated, there might be auto feeds out there.

If you want auto, then I would go with an electric driven press. I have an old 2 1/2 ton 110 volt press, I think its called an Alva or something. I've been trying to find a purpose for it, it came with an auto feed roller and it does run. Its so small, probably stamped out something like electrical terminals. It was too cool to let it be scrapped, got it for free. I'm a sucker for free "get it out of my way" deals.

Last edited:
An assembly press, an employee is trained to Place Part in Platten then place the mating part in the ram, press pedal and it is done, also do this 2000 times per day for years on end.

Best thing you could do with it , is send it to me. :laughing:

Back