What to do with linear stages?

frugalguido

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While cleaning up the man cave, I found these which I got in 2005. Really high end linear stages that came out of Silicon Valley. They have glass scales, DC servo motors and they are a matched set in the XY direction. Back when I received them I called the manufacture to get more info, the rep said they cost over $10k at the time. Got any ideas what to do with them, a mill, 3d printer, router? A083B484-6A8F-4300-A0BD-CA2298E65074.jpeg 5CB4229B-63BE-4F68-A86C-60588F24BC76.jpeg BD0210A3-A16E-49C6-BC07-22D062E514FD.jpeg

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
While cleaning up the man cave, I found these which I got in 2005. Really high end linear stages that came out of Silicon Valley. They have glass scales, DC servo motors and they are a matched set in the XY direction. Back when I received them I called the manufacture to get more info, the rep said they cost over $10k at the time. Got any ideas what to do with them, a mill, 3d printer, router? View attachment 394205 View attachment 394206 View attachment 394207
I'm interested in the replies you get for uses also, cause I have many similar units to find good projects that will appeal to me. hope you get good ideas. what are the dimentions of yours?
Dave

frugalguido

12" travel on both. I kinda remember that they sent me some info on them, I'll see if I can find it. At the time they weren't a current model.

whitmore

Registered
Registered
Add a vision system overhead, and they're the basis of a good X-Y scanner, digitizing
any two-dimensional item; gears, aerial photographs, printed wiring, etc. Old-school measuring microscopes
rarely have so much range.

I've seen astronomical plate-measure gizmos with trackball controls, that might be a useful interface for
control. Reticle-eyepiece microscopes are the old technology, it's not unheard of nowadays to use
a cell phone in a frame as camera/display.
cameraphone for microscope

frugalguido

Ok found the paper work, they are AeroTech ATS-412 stages with 1135DC servo motors, class 5 ball screws. Weight of each is 40lbs without motor. Get this, basic stage was $4290 each, no motor. 1135DC motor each $431, 500 lines/inch linear encoder $1500 each, precision pin and dowel within 10 arc sec $420 or within 5 arc sec $630, not sure which one I have. Would make one hell of a 3d printer or !

MikeInOr

The travel is perfect for a 3D printer but the resolution seems like way over kill for a 3D printer to me. A mini CNC mill seems like it would be more able to benifit from the resolution and heft of the slides? I always wondered why you could not add a 3D printer head to a CNC mill and have both in one machine?

The high resolution scanner is and intriguing idea.

frugalguido

I totally agree on the 3d printer thing, just wish I had another stage for the "Z" axis. AeroTech does show an Z axis mounting plate that was available. The mini CNC would be cool though.

rabler

Another monkey
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Simple controller set up to give X/Y (DRO style coordinates) and a microscope with cross hairs, you'd have a nice optical comparitor and inspection/measuring equipment. Just need to work out a way to get angles in the scope eyepiece.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock