What to expect Tramming Cutting

Having spent 2 more days trying to tram and better understand the geometry of the machine I think I have an acceptable result. I measured the table in both x and y in relation the the spindle on the full travel of both axis and measured no deviation. That was a big surprise for me. I tried to tram this thing for many hours and could just not get it done. Finally got it less than .001" in both x over 11" and y over 9". I gave up at that point. I re-machined my Al brick again and as you can see it has cut pattern in both directions. You can see the cross pattern is not consistent but it is there. I cannot slip a .0015 feeler gauge between a 123 block and the surface and I can see no light between them. The thickness as best I can measure varies ~.0005". I do not know what to expect so this will have to do for now. My patience for this task is gone.

Thank all of you so much for your input and patience. I learn so much from you all.

Attachments

• 20200329_184344.jpg
    20200329_184344.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200329_184352.jpg
    20200329_184352.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200329_184408.jpg
    20200329_184408.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I just did what you suggested. No mater how hard I pulled pushed on any and all parts of the machine I could get no measurable movement. I am now totally confused. i will start from scratch.
1 Tram the table.
2 Tram the vice.
3 Take very light cut in both directions to observe the pattern change or not.

If this is not the way to do this please chime in. Be patient please.
I did not do this right the first time. I only set up to actually measure vertical motion. The second time I measured horizontal motion and got about ,011" in all directions.

I think the numbers you posted are more than adequate and about the best you could hope for given this class of machine. I doubt you will be making parts for the next Mars mission and for hobby use I'd say thats more than good enough.

Congrats, you've reached the final step of learning to tram a mill, where you just don't give a @#$% anymore! :cheer:

I think the numbers you posted are more than adequate and about the best you could hope for given this class of machine. I doubt you will be making parts for the next Mars mission and for hobby use I'd say thats more than good enough.

Congrats, you've reached the final step of learning to tram a mill, where you just don't give a @#$% anymore! :cheer:
Thank goodness I am not making parts for any one. I am just killing time learning how to do things.

Back