What to practice on lathe

Creativechipper

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

I was thinking you all could list some practice cuts or things to start off practicing on the lathe.

I have only done face cuts so far and starting to think I should practice steps, curves, shoulders, etc

Really no idea what to practice first or what will build up good lathe skills for when I actually turn a project.

I have heard some people practice making bullets? What is that all about?

Thanks

Obvious first places to start are facing, turning to a diameter accurately, turning a shoulder, chamfers.. Maybe practice drilling to depths. Basic boring, though that's a whole art in itself from what I can tell. And, of course, threading.

I only recently started learning again a long time after doing only some basic stuff in a high school shop class. I personally find it more rewarding to make things that I can use. So my method was to do some basics, get to +/-0.002 or so, then work on some simple projects to get more accurate and just get more practice. One that I liked was to replace the bolt holding my toolpost with a handle so I can easily adjust the angle of the tool. Reasonably simple, depending on the exact toolpost design, and good practice for all the basics.

I started a thread about project ideas for beginners. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/beginner-lathe-projects.66563/

I plan to work on more of those ideas soon, I'm in the middle of a DRO install and really need to get it done. :)

Bullets are probably because they can be decorative/interesting, have a couple diameters and lengths to hit, and often include a taper for the bullet itself. Drill a little hole in the bottom where the primer would go, and you can put a magnet in there. There are always uses for magnet holders around the shop to hold plans, charts, etc..

With no internet and first lathe I turned down pvc plastic to get a feel for the lathe

I am definitely wanting to make something, just a matter of what now.

The clickspring how to scribe pen looks good to me.

The scribe was my first real project. I used aluminum because I had it and brass is way overpriced around here. I use it for nearly every project I do now.

Another vote for making something you need. My little Atlas needed this spacer collar, so I made it, learning turning, facing, parting and boring along the way. This first one was aluminum, and I intend to make another one at some point out of steel, just for the practice using different metals.

It's a very simple little part, but I learned a lot making it.

Last edited:
I would consider thinking about the various projects you want to do, pick one that seems just above your ability and start working on it. For me, this inevitably leads me to situations where I have to stop and make some tooling before I can finish the project. Typically, the stops to make the interim tooling leads me in areas and teaches me skills I hadn't anticipated. When I have a choice of buying or making tooling for a project, I tend to go with making unless the savings are substantial; it may take me a lot longer to get back to my main project, but I tend to learn a lot more in the process.

That said, this is what works for *me* and may not work for, or make sense to, anyone else.

Back