What to practice on lathe

Wow now the wheels are turning.
Tooling sounds like the most practical thing to make, I could always use some and less expensive the better!!
Spring loaded tap follower, I see how that works but the spindle stop just spins my gears, someday I am sure it will sink in.
I like the idea of a test bar and have a few diameters of aluminum so I will give that some thought too.
Thanks for the kind welcome Bill H. and everyone for the great ideas!!

My first project was the captive nut puzzle. You can do a search on the internet to find instructions. View attachment 273295

I’m with Warren here. I made several in different sizes and threads. Right hand, left hand, coarse, fine, 1/4” - 1”

Like @Winegrower , I made a chuck key also. Fun projects.

Currently working on adapter for the knee crank on my mill so I can use a cordless drill instead of armstrong power to raise and lower the table.

Pick a project and just go at it. You might have to start over or fix a mistake but it’s all a fun learning process.

This I do not understand, please explain 2 chuck keys used at once and how it is an advantage.

This video explains the process, it's worth learning. Dialing something in on the 4 jaw is a necessary skill, it does not need to be frustrating or intimidating.

My employer saves all of the 4Jaw work for me to do at one time, this is usually 3-4 days per month of work so I am quite familiar with the process.

I do not see the advantage of using 2 keys is all.
For example

You have enough experience that it's second nature, using 2 keys when you're just starting off can help learn cause and effect.

The first thing I made on my Logan 820 when I got it running was a replacement shaft, you can see it lying in the chip pan. It was almost done at that point only needing to cut two woodruff keys, I did that on the lathe later using a Palmgren milling attachment. I had not used a lathe since high school back in the early 1970s.

logan820_a11.JPG

I've been in this a long time. The two chuck key trick was a real eye-opener for me. One of those "why didn't I think of this?" moments.
Being able to move the opposing jaws simultaneously (and equally) really speeds the process. I made two shorties, so they were matched.

So, how are you making a chuck key in a lathe? Start from the right size square stock? It's easy with a mill, or even a milling attachment on the lathe. Just not sure how I would do it with only a lathe and "normal" lathe tools. I'm always interested in learning techniques.

I was wondering the same, so many items seem to require a mill in addition to a lathe.

Can I mount a mill table vertical on the lathe and accomplish the same thing?

So, how are you making a chuck key in a lathe? Start from the right size square stock? It's easy with a mill, or even a milling attachment on the lathe. Just not sure how I would do it with only a lathe and "normal" lathe tools. I'm always interested in learning techniques.

I was wondering the same, so many items seem to require a mill in addition to a lathe.

Can I mount a mill table vertical on the lathe and accomplish the same thing?

Well fellas, I am struggling in the opposite direction. I have a mill but no lathe and I find that I can do everything I want to so far but, it is challenging sometimes to do lathe operations on a mill. Just have to put my mind to it, and sometimes it takes a while, but I do get there in the end. Actually, I have the lathe, I just need to get it functional.

Back