What to start with , tooling , accesories ect

Your going really enjoy making those odd parts , being able to make better quality repairs on your projects . I bought a cheap ER32 hex collet block just to make holding small stock , threads dont get damaged . I just clamp it in the three jaw chuck . Smithy list a 6” four jaw chuck so if yo didn’t get one with it that will come in handy . Also have a square collet block that I have dialed in using the four jaw when better accuracy is needed .

I have been learning from different sources:

Here in the forum asking questions and just reading threads...

As to tooling... Blondihacks will give you a clue on where to start. But I can tell you that I also followed the list from David (attached) and I have been using most of the stuff on that list, often. So great list to start with. Just know that you do not have to buy some of the expensive items in there. There are cheaper alternatives if you just want to try something. Then, later on, you can decide what tools you buy from a quality brand to replace your starter tools. At least that is what I have been doing.

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List November82021.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You'll need a small vise for milling- don't spend a lot. You may need a collet for the mill head to hold endmills if it didn't come with any.
Some HSS bits for lathe use- 1/4" is a good size.
Get a small bench grinder and practice grinding your own- it's a valuable skill to have.
-Mark
Is there a particular stone needed for grinding cutting tools?

Norton white (aluminum oxide)

Norton Grinding Wheel, Premium Bench and Pedestal Aluminum Oxide Bench Grinder Wheel, Very Fine Grit 6 Inch Grinding Wheel, Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/7W17ly6

Make sure you wear a good mask when using them… you do not want this in your lungs…

Is there a particular stone needed for grinding cutting tools?
I have been learning from different sources:

Here in the forum asking questions and just reading threads...

As to tooling... Blondihacks will give you a clue on where to start. But I can tell you that I also followed the list from David (attached) and I have been using most of the stuff on that list, often. So great list to start with. Just know that you do not have to buy some of the expensive items in there. There are cheaper alternatives if you just want to try something. Then, later on, you can decide what tools you buy from a quality brand to replace your starter tools. At least that is what I have been doing.
Attachment shows a blank field

Im still sorting through brands and prices.
My budget is very slim going into this.

I’ve gotten many used tools , drill bits end mills etc . from Craigslist , Facebook Marketplace but mostly flea markets , tractor and car shows that have them sometimes too . You’ll find guys that specialize in tools , some are eBay prices but still cheaper then new and shop made tooling is sold at very good prices . The best deals I’ve gotten were from people who do “ clean outs “ . I’ll be looking forward to our clubs fall show this weekend for some new to me tools https://jacktown.org/

I’ve gotten many used tools , drill bits end mills etc . from Craigslist , Facebook Marketplace but mostly flea markets , tractor and car shows that have them sometimes too . You’ll find guys that specialize in tools , some are eBay prices but still cheaper then new and shop made tooling is sold at very good prices . The best deals I’ve gotten were from people who do “ clean outs “ . I’ll be looking forward to our clubs fall show this weekend for some new to me tools https://jacktown.org/
Not much of that around here these days. Im always looking.
I happen to drive by a scrap yard and I stopped to see if I could grab some scrap pieces. The guy laughed and said “yeah I put a end to that **** when my dad past away”
Seems to be the trend. To much liability now to go looking through bins for stuff.

Everyone's work style is a bit different. Buying what other people recommend sometimes works out, but other times doesn't. Other people approach problems differently, have different machines, etc. I suggest picking some simple starting projects (lathe height gage, machinist hammer, or something you want to build as long as it's relatively simple). Then patiently get started. Try to figure out how to do it with what you have, but realize that sometimes you'll need something new - that's how you figure out what *you* need.

I have a very rarely used Haimer Taster indicator in my drawer that cost ~$500 years ago because a friend insisted that I needed one...

On another note, when you do buy, I recommend never skimping on cutters, vises, or safety gear, but you can get away with a lot of cheap stuff most other places. Favor spending your hard-earned dollars on tools that will still work for you if you later get different machines. Be parsimonious with purchases that are machine-specific.

GsT

Back