What to start with , tooling , accesories ect

Everyone's work style is a bit different. Buying what other people recommend sometimes works out, but other times doesn't. Other people approach problems differently, have different machines, etc. I suggest picking some simple starting projects (lathe height gage, machinist hammer, or something you want to build as long as it's relatively simple). Then patiently get started. Try to figure out how to do it with what you have, but realize that sometimes you'll need something new - that's how you figure out what *you* need.

I have a very rarely used Haimer Taster indicator in my drawer that cost ~$500 years ago because a friend insisted that I needed one...

On another note, when you do buy, I recommend never skimping on cutters, vises, or safety gear, but you can get away with a lot of cheap stuff most other places. Favor spending your hard-earned dollars on tools that will still work for you if you later get different machines. Be parsimonious with purchases that are machine-specific.

GsT
Im still working on straightening out the lathe, I have not even got to the mill head yet. Almost every screw , nut , fastener has been loose.
I need to get some new hib screws as the allens are well worn and the threads are sloppy. Not sure if the threads in the casting are fubar or the set screws.
Anyone right now im basically trying to sort whats “good enough” from what I need .
Especially for my skill level.
I dont have $thousands to spend on tooling or tools and I know the hunt is on for good deals on good stuff. I have a decent circle of forum friends that are a great help and one is sending me a gift box.
Im in that rut of what “inexpensive” tools will work. Like simple stuff like 123 blocks and such. I see some inexpensive ones that claim .0002” yet my machine and skills are probably less than .001” in accuracy.

So I found the set screws that hold the gear box assembly to the bed/ways where loose. They where hidden behind the power switch plate. So I still have a lot cleaning and loose screw hunting to do .
Smithy although slow has been very supportive thus far. I need to find out if my lead screw is metric or standard to get thread dial. Smithy recommended replacing the 1/2nut and the crossslide nut. Right from the get go. The Smithy guy said the 90s vintage machines where built pretty darn good and If I take the time to work out the issues and theres no hard wear or hard bends/crack in the ways/gibs you can get respectable results for the price point. He said since your not a machinist you will take time before your skills are better than the machine can deliver.

Then he said good planning sharp tools and patience is key.

Back