What tool is this for?

pjf134

Active User
Registered
I made this tool over 40 years ago, mose likely on a south bend lathe, but don't remember what it is used for. I remember making it for something I needed, but can't remember what. Maybe it can be used for another use, but don't know what, any ideas. It has a hole in it for a t-handle. I did find some old tools I made back then, and I do remember there use, but this one got me baffled, maybe only used it one time for something. I did work on cars back then a lot, so maybe it is for that.
Paul

Knudsen,
The whole length is 5 1/2", big dia. is 1", small end is 3/8" dia. x 1/2" lg., taper is 1" lg. from 1/2" dia. to 1" dia. Bill the clutch idea might be right, but I had a broken front shaft off a transmission that I used for that. Maybe thats why I did not use it much after I made it. The small end is for the pilot shaft bushing maybe, just not sure. I also used a Snap On 3/8 ratchet for clutch plate alignment also, the old style was a perfect fit.
Paul

David,
In the 60's I worked at a taxi cab co. that had checker cabs, the most clutches I did in one day was 8 in 8 hrs. We had to get those on the road to make money. We always looked for short cuts to get them on the road. I do think that tool is for clutches and the hole was for inserting a screwdriver in the hole and wiggle to seat in pilot shaft. Fingernail polish, black tape, coat hanger, duct tape ect. can fix a lot of things on the road.
Paul

Back