[4]

What tool(s) do I need to mill T-slots in aluminum?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

PHPaul

Registered
I'm in the process of making a 6 inch aluminum adapter for my 3 inch rotary table.

I'm thinking it would be handy to have T-slots in the adapter that are the same as the slots on the table.

When using a cutter like this, does it cut the whole thing in one pass? Or does one cut the leg of the tee with a straight mill first?

EDIT: Oops. Read the description on Little Machine Shop and answered my own question.

Just so this post isn't a complete waste, what is the standard depth and will I be able to do 8mm slots in a 1/2 inch thick adapter and have enough meat left for rigidity?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Just so this post isn't a complete waste, what is the standard depth and will I be able to do 8mm slots in a 1/2 inch thick adapter and have enough meat left for rigidity?
That is not a heck of a lot of material left. Maybe concider 3/4 thick material?

PHPaul

Registered
That is not a heck of a lot of material left. Maybe concider 3/4 thick material?
I suspected 1/2 inch wasn't going to be enough.

I think for now I'll just drill and tap some holes for my smaller clamp set. If I come across a piece of 3/4 aluminum, I can use what I learned on this one to make a new/better one.

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
I suspected 1/2 inch wasn't going to be enough.

I think for now I'll just drill and tap some holes for my smaller clamp set. If I come across a piece of 3/4 aluminum, I can use what I learned on this one to make a new/better one.
Can you double up the 1/2" plate?

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Even at the most expensive vendor that sells such stock, McMaster-Carr, a 12" X 12" X 1 1/4" thick saw cut square of 6061 T6 aluminum is less then $120.00, you are making a fixture for a machine and accessories that cost well in excess of $3000.00 , would $120.00 dollars spent on a fixture that you will use many times in the future be a poor choice?
https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-stock

PHPaul

Registered
At the moment, that's not feasible from a financial point of view. Also, I think 1-1/4 is probably serious overkill.

As soon as I recover from getting the well and the furnace fixed (the Universe KNOWS when you have an extra dollar...), I'll probably get a piece of 3/4 in Aluminum and go with that.

Also, not that it matters, I have less than $2000 invested...:cool:

[6]
[5] [7]