WHAT TOOL TO USE?????

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Been working mostly indexable insert tools turning round 6016 alum stock that have been going fairly well but need help figuring out what tools
are used for and what purpose, check the picture out and get back to me.....

I marked on the tool and tried to follow the sellers sequence like 1 thru 8 but might have been wrong, anyway would like to know what they all do........ thanx

Attachments

• 100_3532.JPG
    100_3532.JPG
    640.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
if you can expose the tips of each tool ,identification would be simpler

if you can expose the tips of each tool ,identification would be simpler
dont care about the box, but is a nice little case........ tool ID is more important here ya go

Attachments

• 100_3537.JPG
    100_3537.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 95
  • 100_3538.JPG
    100_3538.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Disclamer....
i would tend to use these tools as listed,
they are by no means the only these tools can be used.

Picture 1, starting from the left most tool- We'll call #1 (of 8)
#1 Facing Tool, can make cuts to tailstock- light external chamfering
2 Appears to be a threading tool turned on its side
3 internal boring tool
4 General purpose with chip breaker, cuts towards headstock
5 Facing tool, can make cuts to tailstock
6 Facing tool, can make cuts to tailstock, light external chamfer
7 Parting Tool for small diameter stock
8 (may be ground as a Threading tool) light internal chamfer- unclear as to the profile- sorry

I agree with Doc, except:
1. I think this is a right hand turning tool.
4. RH facing tool
5. LH facing tool
6. Looks like a duplicate of #1?
8. Threading with inadequate relief angles

We saw someone with similar tools recently but I don't remember who it was (my apologies). Just know that there are other ways to grind HSS tools that may be just as, if not more, effective.

I was given a set just like that and I haven’t found them to be terribly useful.
I get much better results from my shop ground tools.

I have about 4 of those sets in various sizes. I have only used them on steel, and they are OK, but they dull rather quickly. I find them to be serviceable, but I find myself going over to the grinder a lot to sharpen them up.

I often use the grooving tool as a parting tool, and it works *extremely* well! I wish they sold the grooving tool by itself. Those are definitely worth buying.

As others have said, the very last picture that the OP posted shows L to R:
unknown to me (?) (I have never found a use for this one),
RH (turn),
LH (face),
chamfer,
groove/part,
thread.

That chamfer tool was the only tool that I had (and I have quite a few) that worked for a certain chamfer that I was doing. I remember what it was: after threading between centers, and I was putting a chamfer on either side of the thread relief (aka safety groove).

You have to give the manufacturer credit for moving the threading tool a little more toward the headstock than many other similar threading tools. Also, it is kind of neat how the RH (facing) tool reaches out away from the tool holder.

Last edited:
appreciate your efforts gentleman......got lots to learn!

I like those preground tool bits because when they do need sharpening (which is quite often!), you can see what the geometry is supposed to be.

You will be well set up for success if you use that grooving tool for parting.

It is a little depressing, however, to have the LH and RH facing and turning tools become dull so quickly.

Back