WHAT TOOL TO USE?????

I like those preground tool bits because when they do need sharpening (which is quite often!), you can see what the geometry is supposed to be.

You will be well set up for success if you use that grooving tool for parting.
exactly! thats part of the reason I bought them>>>>>>>>>groove tool for parting?? glad you said something. meanwhile still waiting on the 1/4 HSS set and will be interesting to see what gives.....

exactly! thats part of the reason I bought them>>>>>>>>>groove tool for parting?? glad you said something. meanwhile still waiting on the 1/4 HSS set and will be interesting to see what gives.....

I have used that grooving/parting tool bit for some grooving & a LOT of parting. Enough to where I have had to sharpen it a few times. After I sharpened it, it is not quite as much of a hero. The factory cut is sweet! So sharp.

The factory cuts on the RH & LH bits are crazy sharp! You can shave off just a wee bit of your workpiece if you wanted. Terrible for roughing, however.

I felt like they could have added some more cobalt (or whatever makes it hard) to their HSS recipe, however. They seem to be to be just a little on the soft side.

Last edited:
I have used that grooving/parting tool bit for some grooving & a LOT of parting. Enough to where I have had to sharpen it a few times. After I sharpened it, it is not quite as much of a hero. The factory cut is sweet! So sharp.

The factory cuts on the RH & LH bits are crazy sharp! You can shave off just a wee bit of your workpiece if you wanted. Terrible for roughing, however.
heres a stupid question>>>>>>>>>on some of those I cant tell up from down, how can you tell??

heres a stupid question>>>>>>>>>on some of those I cant tell up from down, how can you tell??

I will go take a picture of a bunch of mine with the top side up. Your machining will go a lot more smoothly if you orient them correctly.

image.jpg

thanx for your time, hopefully itll help get me goin on the right path but might have some questions

Last edited:
@erikmannie
Erik - your QCTP kit looks all brand new smart!
and..
Is that a custom aluminum toolholder rack?
(Apologies - I was getting off topic while thinking "Damn! Gotta get me one of those"! ) :)

In the picture below, from L to R:

(1) RH turning tool: use for turning toward the headstock (medium size)

(2) Internal threading (medium size)

(3) Internal threading (small size)

(4) Chamfer tool

(5) Part/Groove

(6) Unknown to me (?). I have used it to chamfer, but I don’t know what they mean this to be used for (small size)

(7) Same answer as (6) above (medium size)

(8) RH turning tool. Use for turning toward the headstock (small size)

(9) Internal threading (small size)

(10) LH facing tool. Use for facing.

961C85CE-8841-45CB-882A-0F54689B4E06.jpeg

Note that sometimes people use the above tools outside of the above designations. I’m sure I’m not the only person who uses their threading tool to put on a chamfer now and then.

Another example of this would be that if you were turning away from the headstock, you would use tool (10) above.

Last edited:
Back