What Tooling To Buy For 101.07301?

In the case of milling attachment vs mini mill, mini mill is very much better. I have a Palmgren milling attachment that I have used on my Atlas 10", works but small tiny cuts and be careful on the direction of feed otherwise the cutter will snatch the work due to the backlash in the carriage no matter how tight you set the gibs.

Mini mills, they have their limits naturally. Keep your eyes open for a better unit like a Sieg X3/SX3 on the used market.
Pierre

Feeding the work into the cutter in the direction where the cutter pulls the work toward itself is what's known as "climb milling". Climb milling should be avoided on any mill, regardless of how large.

I have the milling attachment for my 618 and agree with Robert's comments above. It is very limited to what you can hold, but is better than nothing for some applications.

I would strongly recommend that you save your $$ and buy a proper small mill which would be much more versatile, or put your $ into more accessories for your lathe. I find a 4 jaw independent chuck to be invaluable. Steady rest and live centre would also be useful.

David

I'm same boat as you when it comes to tooling, so I will be interested to see what others say. I do have some experience in machining and will point out that wa5cab is right about keeping the lantern tool post. In my opinion you never get rid of tooling, because it could come in handy for some random setup. Also David is right about the 4-jaw chuck. In my apprenticeship, I didn't touch a 3-jaw for the first couple years. Make sure you get some small aluminum shims (1/8", 1/16", or 1/32" thick) to put between your parts and the 4-jaws. Not only will that protect the finish of your part, it makes dialing in a lot easier. Maybe use some plumber putty to sick them to the chuck jaws.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice is to buy things only as you need them. It's real easy to spend a lot of money on tooling that you may not ever use. I fell into that trap when I got my first lathe.

Back