what type of drawr slides.

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking at making some drawers for my lathe table. It is angle iron , Base is 19 inches front to back, with 36 1/2 inches between the inside of angle iron,
If needed I could put something in the middle and make drawers on each side, instead of having such long drawers. But what would be the best type or way to make drawer slides for this. Had though about cutting down some old rack slides from old servers but after having them in the shop for a while notices the grid, dirt, swarf etc, found they do not move all that good. So now I'm looking for suggestions. Figure to put chucks and other stuff in them so they could require a heavy load. Suggestions appreciated.

Attached is a simple drawing.

Attachments

• bench.pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Vidmar sells replacement drawer slides but I suspect they will be expensive. Amazon has some with at least 100# capacity for not bad prices.

Most normal slides will fill with grit and get to where the little bearings won't roll easily.
Just make your own with some sealed rollers bearings, mounted with a standoff to the sides of the drawers, that roll on a piece of angle mounted to the cabinet.
To clean, just blow them off every now and then.

Your obviously going to have to use spacers or bridge out the angle iron.
I have added drawers in a number of cabinets and I prefer the KV8400 series slide. It is a 100# slide and full extension. I have a drawer with chucks in it which is close to, if not over, 100# and slides smoothly. They are sold in 2" length increments. This is the same type of drawer slide used in the better tool cabinets.
Another brand of the same type slide is Accuride (3832 series).
dd

I think I have seen on here somewhere where someone made a setup using bearings for drawer slides but cannot find it. I looked at the KV8400 series but am thinking it will have the same problem that the server slides do as the table is not enclosed. Although like the idea of full extension so I can get to the back of the drawer where it seems everything winds up on me. I will continue to think and look for now.

My dad solved the problem of dumping drawers by placing the back of the drawer forward about 1/5 of the side length of the drawer. Yes it won't store as much as a full length drawer but you generally stop pulling when you se the back.
Have a good day
Ray

I have been hobbyist woodworking for 30 years or so.

This is where I get a lot of my slides and other cabinet hardware. Very reasonable prices and quick shiping. Woodwokers Hardware

Specifically, the drawer slides that offer a lot of bang for the buck are these...KV Economy drawer slides. Whatever you do, don't uses those craptastic epoxy coated slides, they are pretty much worthless. Not sure how KV can even make the slides I linked for that price point.

I don't have experience with the KVs, but Blums (while on the expensive side) are quite good. I'd suggest going as heavy as can fit (and you can afford)--it can't hurt reliability.
Blum Tandem 150 lb Glides

Back