What type of lathe should I buy for gunsmithing work?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
What would be an appropriate size lathe for general gunsmithing work- work like chambering and threading barrels, crowning, facing actions- not necessarily barrel "turning" as you can get just about any profile barrel you want. I know that the spindle hole size is paramount with the swing over the bed much less important.

And secondly, would you suggest a used older South Bend with a small spindle hole or a new asian machine with a signficantly larger spindle hole?

Thanks!

Nelson

There is no correct answer, as some like to do the work between centers and others like to do it through the headstock. I am in the headstock crowd, so I place more importance on the size of the spindle bore. My choice is a SouthBend 10L though there are many good lathes out there. If going with a new import a 12x36 with 1 3/8" spindle bore would be about minimum.
Bobby

Have to agree Bobby hit the nail straight on the head. My day job was a toolmaker. My night ( midnite) job a home gunsmith shop, very successful for 20 + years. Was ffl licensed in case G men watching. Was younger, money tighter. All toys bought with midnite money. The first lathe for 20 + yrs was a little Atlas 12 by
48. Was gear change threading. Timken cup and cone bearings class 3. with milling attachment and steady rest;). Made probably 30 to forty rifles and repaired ten times that. You learn to do ACCURATE work on the machine you run every day, make or type not that important. For the last 10yrs I have a very nice Leblond Regal with 1.4 spindle boreand 54 between centers. Money not as tight now. I love it .

Last edited:
I'm not really qualified to answer the question, but I have an opinion. From all I've been able to read up on, the majority of folks prefer the larger spindle hole, but many have gotten by without it, using ingenuity and forethought. Tooling is paramount, i.e. various rests, front and back - especially with the smaller through hole. Bed length seems to be set at 36" - 54" - nothing shorter if barrel work is anticipated. Quick change gear box is almost an absolute.

So....that being said (or opined) I bought a SB 10L 48" bed to hopefully handle anything I want to have a go at. It appears that anything from 9" on up to 14" is usable from the research I did, so I'm guessing there is a lot of leeway in that regard. Again - not spoken as a qualified GS - just my HO. I guess I just felt like yacking this morning :)

Weeeeellllllll IMHO (which aint worth much) what I just bought with some gunsmithing in mind is the PM1440 with a 2 inch spindle hole.
You can find it here http://www.machinetoolonline.com/
Now you guys can start giving me a raft of crap because I bought a chicom lathe, the only thing I am not happy with is the motor which makes to much noise as far as I am concerned:mad: it comes Farly well tooled & free shipping:biggrin:
To my way of thinking bigger is better for all kinds of jobs But just to a point:thinking:

I will never give a guy crap for buying what he wants or can afford. Glad to have another aspiring gun smithy aboard. Another fact about lathe work is that it USUALLY easier to make small parts on a large lathe than it is to make big parts (longer than the bed, larger than swing ) on a small lathe. In buying used lathes, more often than not you will find that the larger. heavier ( pounds ) lathes will be cheaper than than the much higher in demand smaller lathes. But then again, your shop must have the room. Just ramblings from an old smithy.:thinking:

From chambering over 200 barrels, here is my take: At least 40 inch centers, more if you get into large diameter long barrel work. At least 1-1/2" spindle hole, bigger is better.

Two Lathes.JPG 14X40 Jet Lathe with Enco Badge.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same delima...After doing a lot of research and reading I bought a 14x40 grizzly gunsmith lathe. My reasoning? There is a lot of great old iron out there, but you have to know what your looking at, and most likely, how to adjust and get it up and running. Being new to machining, I was getting overwhelmed with the thought of buying a "good" ole' lathe and just what that ment. I thought it better to by a new lathe so I wouldn't have a lot of issues getting good results from the begining. I'm very happy with my decission. I'm making some great parts and threading has been a lot of fun. I put a .308 together for one of my officers and it's awesome!!! Looking forward to building my 6.5 creedmore!!!

Joe

I had the same delima...After doing a lot of research and reading I bought a 14x40 grizzly gunsmith lathe. My reasoning? There is a lot of great old iron out there, but you have to know what your looking at, and most likely, how to adjust and get it up and running. Being new to machining, I was getting overwhelmed with the thought of buying a "good" ole' lathe and just what that ment. I thought it better to by a new lathe so I wouldn't have a lot of issues getting good results from the begining. I'm very happy with my decission. I'm making some great parts and threading has been a lot of fun. I put a .308 together for one of my officers and it's awesome!!! Looking forward to building my 6.5 creedmore!!!

Joe
Hi Joe, Welcome aboard. I have kin in the Kenton / Lima / Wapokeneta, area.Have fun!

Weeeeellllllll IMHO (which aint worth much) what I just bought with some gunsmithing in mind is the PM1440 with a 2 inch spindle hole.
You can find it here http://www.machinetoolonline.com/
Now you guys can start giving me a raft of crap because I bought a chicom lathe, the only thing I am not happy with is the motor which makes to much noise as far as I am concerned:mad: it comes Farly well tooled & free shipping:biggrin:
To my way of thinking bigger is better for all kinds of jobs But just to a point:thinking:

Awesome looking lathe if I could afford it I would have one tomorrow.

Back