What type of plug gauges should I get?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi Guys,

Plug gauges are used to measure barrel and throat diameters, but they have several different "ranges".

Which "range" (i.e. tolerance) is best to buy for gunsmithing purposes?

Thanks,

Nelson

Nelson, plug guages are normally used on revolver barrels to check the throat. Is that what you are referring to ?
Bobby

Nelson, you lost me there. Are you talking about gage pins, perhaps? Sets are available from 0.0110 to 1.0000, by thousandths, with choices of tolerance class, and "direction". Typical shop sets are either +0.0002/-0.0000 or -0.0002/+0.0000. The pins are about 2.000 long. These are hardened, ground, and lapped general purpose pins. Dedicated go/no go plugs can also be had in pretty much any size you want. Like thread gages, except plain cylinders.

Get the -.0002" gauges. Not the +.0002". The + gauges are "no-go" while the - gauges are "go".

I have two sets: .251" to .500" and .061" to .250". Both sets are used in firearms related gauging like bore diameter at the muzzle, cast bullet sizing die gauging, pin hole gauging, etc.

I bought mine off one of the sellers on ebay. All the Chinese pin gauges are the same. I don't do NASA machining so these are ok-fine for what I need.

DSCF2923q-vi.jpg

DSCF2936q-vi.jpg

DSCF2923q-vi.jpg

DSCF2936q-vi.jpg

Back