What type of thread is this in a leg for a variable height desk

Maybe he could search "3D printing double lead screw threads" There may be code for that already.

Hi Guys,
My son messaged me back today saying there were three threads!
I'm skeptical, so I waited for him to get home and I checked it myself.
Yep, I see it as three separate threads. I wrapped a copper wire, a grey wire and a green wire,
around the threads, and took a picture for you to peruse.
I figured, he probably gave up, and I ask, so, where are you in the project now, he said, oh it's ready.
So, he has created the plastic piece model with the threads in SolidWorks, (I had the program wrong earlier).
He still has some other threads to make that are external and very fine I doubt those will be printed.
Mikek

Attachments

• Triple-Thread.jpg
    Triple-Thread.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 9
Has anyone seen a triple thread before or even aware of a triple thread?
My son has the first iteration 3D printed part completed (3-1/2hrs).
Pictures Attached
The triple thread needs some adjustment as it works but is very, very tight.
I suggested he cut a cross section of the tight part and do some inspection of the internal thread
compared to the threaded rod he is working with.
I thought this was a lost cause, and he has had his ups and downs, but it is looking pretty good at this point.
For context, this is an adjustable height desk he was given and decided to try to fix. One leg was not functioning.
Desk Tripple Thread 1.jpgDesk Tripple Thread 2.jpgThe

Since it is a thermoplastic I would be tempted to heat the shaft and force the 3D-printed nut on.
If you can get it to reflow the plastic threads a little it should be a great fit.

Brian

I have seen a milk jug that had a 9-lead thread. Fast acting thread (less than 1/4 turn to remove), the cap can be pushed on (instead of twisted) to assemble.

I would say that having achieved a 3-lead thread that will fit at all, let alone on the first attempt, he as done a FANTASTIC job. It would likely take me all day and at least 3 attempts to make one manually.

Since it is a thermoplastic I would be tempted to heat the shaft and force the 3D-printed nut on.
If you can get it to reflow the plastic threads a little it should be a great fit.

That is a possibility, that we did discuss this last night. OK, I'll bring it up again before any cutting.
Thanks, Mikek

Last edited:
I have seen a milk jug that had a 9-lead thread. Fast acting thread (less than 1/4 turn to remove), the cap can be pushed on (instead of twisted) to assemble.

I would say that having achieved a 3-lead thread that will fit at all, let alone on the first attempt, he as done a FANTASTIC job.
Early on when double thread was mentioned I looked up how to program double threads and it seemed easy, start with a coil and add a second 180* apart. (easy because I'm not a programmer) He came home and saying it was a triple thread and he already had three threads 120 degrees apart. Way ahead of me. :)
Mikek

We first measured 10 TPI and with a little math got a thread with a pitch of 0.300 for a triple thread. That was tight.
The second part with a 0.001 removed from the thread sides, was not as tight, but still tight.
.In a a cross section cut you can see how it is tight on on side of the thread and move down 8 or 10 threads
and it is tight on the other side of the thread.
After further thread measuring it was found to be 0.295 or a metric M7.5 (?) So, printing another piece tonight. It doesn't seem like much
change, so we'll just have to try the next part and see.
Second iteration he made the part with a split section just so we didn't have to cut a cross section.
This before some of the support structure was removed.

Mikek
3D part 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back