What would be a fair offer for SB 10L with no motor?

@Dabbler @MrWhoopee
I just picked up the South Bend. Attached some pictures below.

It came with two four jaws (bigger of the two is mounted), three jaw, steady rest, additional tooling, and the motors. It is not perfect and will start cleaning, degreasing, and rebuilding a little at a time but it works fairly well. I spent the whole night learning how to use with the change gears and oiling it.

Will be posting many questions soon on how to I should go about cleaning and restoring it.
Much better! Congrats, now the fun begins.

Looks like someone was dying for that lathe... I guess they had to wait so long.
No sense losing your head over a missed deal Jeff . Just keep your eyes out for the next deal . o_O

Greased lightening from Lowes works well and no stink or burn on skin.

Buy the 5 gallon unit, use full strength.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Greased lightening from Lowes works well and no stink or burn on skin.

Buy the 5 gallon unit, use full strength.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was reading a few older post and kerosene and mineral spirits was mentioned.Will give the Greased lighting a try first. The plan for this weekend is to get rust stains/surface rust out of the ways and begin cleaning the apron.

Thank yo everyone for the help!!

I was reading a few older post and kerosene and mineral spirits was mentioned.Will give the Greased lighting a try first. The plan for this weekend is to get rust stains/surface rust out of the ways and begin cleaning the apron.

Thank yo everyone for the help!!

WD40 works well too.

On painted surfaces I usually start with simple green, it is fairly cheap and not too harsh. I spray it on and let it sit for a couple minutes. Then take a bucket of hot water and dish soap and use a rag, or blue paper shop towels if it is really nasty to wipe it down. Wring out the rag so it is wet, but not dripping. This will usually cut a surprising amount of crud.

Depending on how well the simple green worked, I either repeat with Simple Green or go to a stronger degreaser if the grime is resisting removal. I've found Zep 505 to work pretty well, you can get it at Home Depot, but it is much stronger and will quickly irritate your skin if you get it on bare skin.

For heavy caked on crud I have some stiff plastic brushes I use with the above methods to break it up.

Once I am done cleaning I go back over everything with a clean bucket of hot water and a little dish soap with a rag to make sure I get rid of any residue from the cleaners.

On bare metal I usually start with WD40, spray it on and let it sit, sometimes overnight. WD40 does a pretty good job as a cleaner, shouldn't hurt paint and won't create rust. It also works well to remove light surface rust with a Scotch Brite pad.

Neat lathe, lots of character and it looks pretty modern despite its age.

Back