What would be a fair offer for SB 10L with no motor?

My mill I found was listed as "overhead mill". Searching mill or vertical mill never found the ad.
Joe
why I wonder. Mill should have found overhead mill I understand vertical mill would not find overhead mill.. but mill should. what were you on? ebay? craigslist?

Probably both. I would hold out for something with a QCGB. Something as basic as changing the feed rate is a nuisance without one.
I purchased what I think is a 11" 1929 South bend lathe w/QCGB. It popped up on Craigslist yesterday and I got fortunate to get to take a look at it. It wasn't a bad looking machine and came with two four jaws, three jaw, steady rest and some additional tooling. Not perfect and has some minor issues. Overall a good machine. Everything looked to be working when I checked it. Gentleman selling the machine also included a 2.5HP DC motor he was going to use to use to add variable speed.

Will post picture when I get it in the garage on Wednesday. Excited to get it in and start cleaning it up.

Last edited:
@jdsantiagojr Well done! I was just reading the entire thread to post some 'helpful suggestions' but the biggest one was 'don't worry something better will pop up' It seems you have already discovered that secret!

... After years of bellyaching about overpriced milling machines and unscrupulous sellers, within 2 years of one another I found a nearly new PM935 for 2K and a full sized Bridgeport clone in perfect condition for less than that. Sometimes the planets just have to align, and there you are - but you have to be ready to pounce, cash in hand.

@Dabbler @MrWhoopee
I just picked up the South Bend. Attached some pictures below.

It came with two four jaws (bigger of the two is mounted), three jaw, steady rest, additional tooling, and the motors. It is not perfect and will start cleaning, degreasing, and rebuilding a little at a time but it works fairly well. I spent the whole night learning how to use with the change gears and oiling it.

Will be posting many questions soon on how to I should go about cleaning and restoring it.

Attachments

• 1929SB-01.jpg
    1929SB-01.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1929SB-02.jpg
    1929SB-02.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 1929SB-03.jpg
    1929SB-03.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 1929SB-04.jpg
    1929SB-04.jpg