What Would I Use These DC Power Supply Parts For?

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi Guys,
I was on Craigslist looking for a nice steel enclosure for the vfd that I hope to hook up to some of my metalworking machines. I lucked out, and found someone selling the right size metal hinged box (for only $20) that happened to house an unregulated DC power supply. The owner told me that the person who forwarded this box to him originally used the dc power supply to power robots (lots of techie/stem nerds in the Bay Area)

The box weighs a ton, and I don't see it this size supply selling at all in "completed" items of past ebay auctions.

So, looking at the below pictures of this box's contents, do any of you guys see me, a newbie, ever needing to keep any of the parts, basically a capacitor and, I think, transformer, or should I just offer the parts to some random electronics wizard?

Thanks,
Susan

20190411_155219.jpg20190411_155228.jpg20190411_155249.jpg

That's an expensive power supply, around $200 new. If you have a need for a 24V PS it would be nice to have. It's the kind of thing I put on the shelf until I need it. But I don't think you have any shelf space left :grin:

Used, maybe $75 or so for a quick sale.

That's a pretty nice looking DC power supply. 750 watts worth of go-go at 24-26 V would probably make a nice power source for plating. Would also make a nice drive system power supply for a home CNC machine.

Anodizing aluminum or electroplating? Can anodize titanium too but will be limited on the colors due to the voltage output.

Susan, you don’t need this. Sell, trade or give away, in that order.

With a variac added you'd have a nice adjustable dc supply, but unless you have a specific need, sell it
Mark

Hi Susan, I would highly suggest keeping it for either a cnc project or using stepper motors for a 4th axis on a milling machine or converting a three inch rotary table.
In a nutshell it has many uses and is better in your cupboard then having to repurchase later it is a good one.

Troy

I know you are tight on space otherwise I would say keep it for some future use

Variac just would cause the regulator grief.

This looks like a lower end or simple type 24 vdc supply.

Good charger for wheel chairs or other 24 volt applications.

Given you are bay area these are stupid common.

No real resale value as not much need as there are too many places that have them cheap.

If you have a place to put it then keep it...just remember that you have it for when a need pops up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back