What Would I Use These DC Power Supply Parts For?

A standing rule in my world: Be cautious what you buy, but never let anything go. Freebies fit the same scenario. I make high current transformers when I need one. The average microwave supply will furnish up to 150 Amps at a low voltage. I've seen a welder(stick) made from 3 or four of them. All it takes is a bridge rectifier and a couple of capacitors to make a DC supply. If it's regulated, now that's worth something, especially to the right person. If it isn't regulated, sit on it 'til you, or a buddy, need it. Depending on how close the buddy is, it's a giveaway and up. That's my opinion, take it as you will.

I would like to hear more... I've made DC power supply s all my life. I never used any capacitors ... But then none was regulated . Could you give us a drawing on how you make them ?

How to burn down your shop in 3 easy lessons:

[EDITED]
The second version is the one that I found most interesting, but following further links will also provide more ideas. Simply adding a rectifier of sufficient size will furnish the DC. I normally use ~15 VDC and look for ~20 Amps. Easy to do with similar methods.

Knowledge of "old school" electrical systems is a definite plus here. There are many tricks to the theory of transformers. Caps at 1,000 Mics per amp will provide relatively smooth power. Not regulated smooth as a battery, but doable for power jobs.

Last edited:
Susan, there a lot of electronic nerds in your area. So keep the box and sell the parts. Good chance that you may get your $20 back.

An after-thought on making transformers from microwaves:

Many/most industrialized nations use 240 volts for general line voltage. In the U.S. and a few others, it is 120 volts, with 240 "reserved" for heavier loads like water heaters, ranges, A/C, and the like.

The end result here is that in the U.S., a microwave will be rated at 120 volts. In the videos above, one had a schematic showing 240 volts for the line side. For the U.S., that would be 120 volts.

Make a robot with it, infiltrate the 2020 election, win by a land side and save America! or...just sell it....either way.

Back