What would you consider a complete ER collet set

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
I bought an ER32 collet set. It came with an MT3 adapter and about six collets. I was just check to see if I'd like them. I liked them so much, I got frustrated a couple of times when I had an end mill to hold, but it fell between the sizes I had.

Now, I'm looking to build and adapter for the Sebastian lathe, and thinking that I might want to go with ER40, since my spindle will pass through 1 5/8". But, if I'm going to buy another set, even if it is the cheap set, I'd prefer there not be gaps in the holding range.

But, what would a full "able to hold anything in the range" set look like?

Depends on the size, but each size has a max collapsible range so a full set would have increments the same size or smaller than that. My ER25 set in 1mm increments would hold anything, my ER25 set by 1/8ths (other set went with an old lathe) has some annoying gaps. I think the ER32 set I bought was in 1/32 increments and should hold anything, haven't used it yet though.

Supposedly the ER32 and ER40 collets can close up to 1mm. You really don't want to do that, since they won't have good run out that way.
I have the PM 15 piece Imperial ER40 set that is pretty good. Covers most uses, but isn't quite complete. You can buy fill in collets, or even spring for a full metric set.

On a lark, I bought a 32mm over-size collet from the far east. It is surprising good, (low TIR) but there's not much metal there! Used it to chuck up some 1.25" stock in my ER40 chuck.

My “complete” set of ER32 collets covers from 2mm to 20mm, plus I got oversize 21, 22, 23, 24 & 25mm collets from the Far East. I considered getting a 1mm, but since I have ER16 arbors (2MT, 3MT & 16mm straight) & collets that go down to 1/32” I passed.

Little Machine Shop has a list of “standard “ ranges they carry:

https://littlemachineshop.com/info/er_collet_sizes.php

The metric sets cover the complete range. The imperial sets don't and have gaps in coverage. I have an ER32 metric set and have been happy with it.

By 1mm in metric or 1/32" in standard if you want to be able hold weird sizes you might turn. 1/8" or 1/16" should be fine for holding common bar stock sizes.

Endmills are usually 3/8" or 1/2", so you surely need to buy those two (or their metric equivalents)
Those two plus 1/4" covers pretty much 98% of what's in my tool box (I have a couple 7/16" I think)

I use ER20 collets with my Tormach TTS system and have multiples of 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16" 3/8", and 1/2" collets plus a full metric set. These are used primarily on the mills for tool holding as I have a 5C collet chuck for the lathe but for small work, I can use the TTS holders and collet in my four jaw on the lathe.

With ER32, one set of 1 mm increments and one set of 1/16 increments (that's a lot of collets) seems to be able to hold anything I come up with in the range.

Now what I really need is a metric 5C set. I like ER collets a lot, but I seem to have acquired a lot of tools that use 5C, so I've been using them a lot more often. And of course running into clamping range issues on real-world parts.

For my lathe I have ER40 inch sizes from 1/8" to 1" in 1/32" increments. I am missing a few, but as far as I know they are all available. The set has served me well.

I need some oversized collets. They are on my wish list.

Back