What Would You Do With An R8 Boring Head Shank?

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
If I'm remembering right, 7/8-20 is the standard thread found on them. Obviously, boring heads are the intended use, but anything that wouldn't unscrew would be fair game. A tap driver, a chuck, a flycutter....anything you want.

u buy a boring head and and us it on your mill. I had originall bought a boring head with a MT3 shank for a drill mill I traded off. The Boring head had a metric thread. I bought a larger R8 drill chuck shank and cut the metric threads. Its worked fine for several years.

Joe

True, they do come in larger sizes for the bigger boring heads, I forgot about that. It reminds me, I have a head with no shank. Actually two heads with no shanks. Guess I should get some. Nah, I have a couple of heads with shanks I use whenever I need them.

author=Whyemier link=topic=3583.msg26066#msg26066 date=1316134612
Of course, if I was going to purchase one of those then the thought comes up; "Why not just buy the tooling?"
Bingo! How much time do you have? I don't know what the median age of the forum members are but I'll guess most of us are "getting on". Tools in this century are a bargain. Use your time to make something everyone can enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'm pushing 60, how many shop years can I expect, 10? At my rate, that's only 5 more projects!

Back