What would you make with this 2 colored rod?

Melting two-colour ABS and forcing it through a 0.4mm hole will just mix the colours into one new colour. There are multi-feed extruders that do that now.

Dave,

Thank you for your input, we are not set up to manufacture filament. We manufacture extruded sheets and some tubes, but we currently concentrate most of our efforts on injection molded process. All of our rods and blocks are injection molded .
We manufacture (injection mold, not extrude) and supply solid colored machine grade plastics in low stress blocks and rods which don't warp or twist when you machine them.
We believe that this is a very important niche that currently isn't addressed by large plastic rods and blocks suppliers.

Regards,
Plasti-Block Team
rods-blocks-s.jpg

Can you make different sizes? (diameters)
Can you make different colours?

I have a friend making wooden pens from kits.
I have thought about trying aluminum, brass, copper or even stainless.
This material would look really neat if you used fairly deep ribbed cuts that exposed the colour changes and formed a grip near the tip.

-brino

PS: I'll have to go look up "Hampton"

Brino, the cuts wouldn't necessarily need to be deep if you turned down the OD first.

I am a little surprised our resident top makers haven't chimed in. Maybe plastic is to light for them.

Do you make other sizes in multi-color? And is two colors the limit?

Good call Randy, tops and gryoscopes could be an interesting niche for something like this. Yo-yos also come to mind, assuming you can get material large enough. I don't know if the weight is an issue though there are plenty of commercial toys made from ABS.

Randy,

We have developed new technology for making low cost mold tolling. As such, we are open to requests for other sizes and colors if we can figure out what people want and need. Do you have any particular sizes in mind? We will adding some 3 and 4 color parts in the coming months to enable amazing projects including pens, chess sets, and other great items.
We are currently collecting a feedback of combination of colors people might want. And actually based on your questions, we just modified the questioner on our site to add a question about dimensions that might be desired, we hope that people would be interested to participate.

Thank you for your questions!

PB, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Unfortunately I am just being inquisitive, and really do not have any project at this time to consider. This is one of those things I just tuck away for a later date.

Welcome to HM.

I'd make fluted tool handles

okay, that gets me thinking of musical instruments. What about a recorder? or tuning peg handles for guitars?

@Plastiblocks, I see you're a site sponsor getting a little brainstorming/ market research in. Great! I hope you stick around the site for a while answering questions and filling needs. We have an amazingly creative membership here.
-brino

Back