What Would You Or Did You Do

It's a 783 Rem. I bought specifically for this. Plan to drop the barrel nut and shoulder it. Mainly want to see if I'm capable of doing this before I do my 700P. Been doing a lot of threading getting ready. Plan to make some threaded stubs to get the measurements right. Thinking about a 6.5x47L or Creedmoor.
Great rifle to start a build with. I did something similar and wondered about barrel weight. So to keep it simple I just did an 18 inch with a 1 inch diameter and cut 10 flutes in it. Coincidently it was also a 783 that I rechambered 7.62x54r. Some people ask why, I say why not. It even feeds through the mag . The little bit of extra barrel weight definitely helps with recoil. Almost no muzzle rise. You could shoot it all day long. Used a 1 inch ball endmill to cut the stock so the barrel would fit. It looks, feels, and shoots great. If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

Personally, I'd keep the nut. It gives you more advantages than you think. It's a lot easier to thread and chamber, not to mention set the headspace. If you have to change something down the road, such as replacing a bolt head or recoil lug, you don't have to re cut the chamber or move the shoulder. The barrel nut does have it's advantages in the accuracy dept. as well.

Why not buy the barrel you want, but practice on some 1.250 round stock? That's what I did with my Mauser. Had some cheap 1045 stock around and turned, faced and threaded it for practice. Turned that into a tool for facing the receiver. Went from there right to a Lothar Walther barrel.
I plan to make the stubs like you said. Most recoil lugs are a loose fit on the Savage threads so I thought I would make the shank the dia. to fit that and cut 1 or 2 threads out to that dia. so it would fit up in the action. My blank is on the way. Got a Shilen CM 6.5 #6 contour. Still have to round up my reamer, range rod, and recoil lug.

Check reamer rentals dot com. You could make a range rod or rent one as well. Don't forget the insurance. Let us know if you use them and your experience.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Barrel is supposed to be here tomorrow. I work 12 hours a day so I don't know when I'll get to start on it. That's why it takes me so long to reply.

Joe, this is a great project'; I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

My barrel arrived today. I'm at work but it says it delivered. Anxious to see how straight it is. I'll keep it updated. Wanted to build something a little different.

Want to relevel and align my lathe. Want to make sure everything lines up good and straight.

Got my barrel. Going to clean it and set it up in my lathe so I can rotate it to check the straightness. Should be able to see any "bows" with it turning. My shop is not air conditioned so I have to take the barrel back in the house. I checked my lathe and everything seems to be like I need it.

Back