whats a good cutting oil for steel....

Have some Oatley, smoke gets me, wife purchased me a large qty of Anchorlube, Have some Tap Magic for tapping etc Have used the Anchorlube on the lathe a lot, but for internal threading and boring I use the Oatley but may try some of these others with less smoke, and see if I can tolerate them with having to open the doors to breath.

File this one under "Poor Folks do it the Poor Way"
1 Quart ATF {The old stuff} to 1 gallon of Kerosene or diesel fuel. Apply with an acid brush as needed.
For Al just use WD-40.
My pre-1930 Sydney Lathe cuts slow, so smoke is not an issue.Low speed on my machine is 13 RPM. She works on torque not speed.I can face off a large flywheel and do something else for 20 minutes and still have time to waste.
My teacher {Uncle} taught me that accurate beats speed every time. So don't be in such a hurry.
Old school is still cool.
**G**

Note that you can dilute Anchorlube to as thin as you want it. Squirt a little in a small cup or similar, dilute to desired consistency, and then go with it. It works well. Of, course, one of the best things about Anchorlube is how thick it is. Anyway, you have the choice.

Another thing I have found is that Anchorlube is a super lubricant for power driving wood screws in tight holes.

Started with WD-40 on aluminum then on the advice of an old retired machinist went to kerosene ( much cheaper) then went to rubbing alcohol on the advice of another old retired machinist. Best solution of all; no smell and clean and cheapest of all. Try it you'll like it.

On steel I like Viper's Venom. Smokes and smells and cuts great. This is a hobby machine shop but it should have the smoke and smell of the real thing.

Another thing about the Anchorlube is that if it starts to dry out just add a little water to it, and good as new have a brush and a dish that just add a little water work it around brings the old stuff back up then add a little more as needed. I just keep a little in the dish at a time, that way I am not leaving a bunch out to dry.

Back