What's a reasonable cost for this part?

texas-two-step

Registered
Registered
Good morning all,

Need your collective insight on what you consider a reasonable fee to create this small part (attached .iges file in a zip archive.) 6061 Steel. I'm getting quotes ranging for 'that's too good to be true' to 'you're kidding me, right?'

Appreciate the insight.

Attachments

• Mistubishi Waste Gate Arm Acura RDX v4.iges.zip
    80.9 KB · Views: 42
I can't open an .iges file but I'm not aware of any 6061 steel alloy. 6061 T6 is a common aluminum alloy and temper.

That's a time consuming part to build a 1 off. It would take me about 2 hours to make it, including setup time at $80/hr. Material cost is a couple bucks.

If you needed 100 pieces the price would drop dramatically

Thank you Jim! Very helpful.

That's a time consuming part to build a 1 off. It would take me about 2 hours to make it, including setup time at $80/hr. Material cost is a couple bucks.

If you needed 100 pieces the price would drop dramatically

What is an .iges file and what opens it?

It's kind of a universal 3D CAD format. Much like a DXF is to the 2D CAD world. Most 3D modeling software will open an iges file. There are a number of free viewers available, and Fusion 360 will open it.

What is an .iges file and what opens it?

To add to Jim's note on file types, There are a plethora of 3D modeling software applications on the market. I used Fusion 360 to model the part (an AutoDesk product) and that application can also save out to .step. AutoDesk offers a second application to prepare the 3D models for printing files (.stp).

I presume that most CNC mills have their own software to run the tooling and can consume the 3D formats to convert to gcode along with optimizing tool paths for creating the part.

Here are a few samplings of of other 3D formats and the software associated with the filetype where applicable:
  • .3DM (Rhino)
  • .3DS (3D Studio)
  • .3MF
  • .AC3D
  • .ASE (3D Studio)
  • .CATPART
  • .CATPRODUCT
  • .CGR (CATIA)
  • .COB (TrueSpace)
  • .DAE (Collada)
  • .DXF4 (AutoCAD)
  • .IAM / .IPT (Autodesk Inventor)