What's everyone got there benchtop mills mounted too?

JBuckley13f

Registered
Registered
I've got a PM-25MV on the way and opted out of the stand. I'm just curious how everyone has their benchtop mill/drill machines setup.

I use the stand for my RF31, but it is filled completely with lead and steel scraps - probably adding 250 lbs. and a lot of rigidity to the mill. So far haven't had a need to anchor it to the concrete - very very little chatter/vibration when milling.....

IMGP1468.JPG

Ya that's my biggest concern is rigidity. I was thinking about making a bench and pouring a concrete top on it.

While that would help, I think positioning weight near the base is more important than at the top area of the table. It surprises me how much small "wobble" you can get from milling - and these BT mill/drills are susceptible to a great amount of it if not anchored well....JMHO

I built a wooden bench. 4 x4 legs with 2 x 6 top. It's pretty sturdy and works good in my makeshift "shop" which is just a room in my raised duplex. I also have it sitting on a piece of 3/4 plywood also to help distribute the weight a little better. Also put 4 x 4 stringers at base of side legs going front to back and another from rear right to left. In any case, for a 750lb machine its holding up well and was pretty easy to build. Also, I was able to make it to order so I have space to throw crap on the side.
I'm embarrassed to post a pic, because its a pig stye IMO. But, this is my temporary workspace until I can find or build a decent workshop. It is was it is. And we all need goals, right?

I had a prior existing used kitchen cabinet countertop mounted in the shop. 2x4 screwed to the wall, ditto every three feet vertical for legs. I put several extra screws into the horizontal 2x4 both into the verticals behind it and into the 2x4 through the counter top, added one vertical in front, and a 18" square piece of 3/4 plywood under the cite of the mill (PM25) . I mounted to mill centered on this 18" square. 1200 and over rpm generates vibration, otherwise it's plenty solid.

The one l had and sold. I used the base however I welded wings on it so I could bolt it to the floor. Since I used a storage building it works well. I did my Grizzly lathe the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a stand to support mine. 1/4” angle iron legs, 1/2” top plate. Lots of weld and a little bit of paint. D753B3B7-3AF0-48EE-AD05-4B1D091F9940.jpeg

Had mine mounted on a 40" tool box with a sheet of 3/4" plywood and a 3/8" sheet of steel plate between the mill and the top of the box. Made some screw-type levelers, one for each corner of the tool box.

Couldn't see wasting time making the part the mill attaches to any stiffer as there is enough flex in the column to negate any improvements I might make at the base/toolbox attachment point. Figured that area was probably stiff enough already. Seemed to work fine for me. YMMV. :)

Mines sitting on its factory provided stand, on top of 6x6 treated lumber for now.

Back