Whats going on with this cut?

So i think i got it worked out got off work super early so had some time..first thing the tailstock was way off by atleast 1/8" and headstock bearing had a good bit of up and down play so took caps off and peeled away a shim on each side and much better, was like a loose tie rod end where you feel the clunking. Now have to adjust the motor, belt is too loose and have some slippage.
I wouldn't adjust the motor to the point the belt is so tight you could ruin something if you have a crash.. I have the flat belt on my 1916 Seneca Falls Star #20 machine tight enough that I can make a ,125" cut in aluminum. Should I do a stupid and crash the belt is still loose enough that It will slip rather than break something.

Belt is pretty darn loose. slipping when advancing cutter 0.010 into the work at the end of the part I'm making. Guessing less pressure when you're cutting closer to the chuck.

I lie, belt wasn't slipping. The damn pulley lock pin came out (like you're trying to set up for backgear without moving the lever). Oh well. On the plus side, part is comming out with a good surface finish. Could be better but for the second part ever on a lathe, I am doing good I think.

Material does not matter, just find a chunk of something about size of d battery
01d40588a69fdec07750098b9401a945.jpg
f9863eb229c05ef6ac02be176b577118.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks.

I have a couple of chunks of 2" round stock just waiting to be turned into something useful.

Regards,
Terry

Back