What's it for?

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is work related. I arrived at work today to the sight of three men slowly running the cross slide forward and back, very intently studying it. Evidently both tee bolts holding the compound on have been relieved of threads. The guys were trying to figure out how to remove them. Being an old hand at gutting a lathe, I swooped in to save the day. As if by magic, two of the three men disappeared in a puff of smoke. Anyways please forgive the retelling. I had to disassemble much more than I ever needed to before, but it boiled down to the DRO holding me up. Bored yet? Ok. Here's a picture: There are three things between the leadscrew and the cross slide casting. One is the nut that moves the cross slide. One is labeled (58) "wedge". What is it's purpose?

Attachments

• C3CC1EFA-4D06-4BE9-B46C-89DDE5EC653D.jpeg
    C3CC1EFA-4D06-4BE9-B46C-89DDE5EC653D.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 32
Yeah I guess if the threaded blocks on either side of it were pulled together with a wedge between them it could remove backlash. I guess I just needed to think about it longer. It didn't look wedge shaped was my hang up. But it's probably only very slightly tapered, and I didn't remove it to look it over.
Jet 1660 btw.
Actually that was wrong. I get it. The front nut can be pulled against the wedge after loosening it's bolt. The wedge forces the front nut into a bind. That's how it works. Yep. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back