What's it or how to use it

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've had my father-in-laws machinist tool box for about ten years. For about as long as I've had my Southbend 9A. My interests have evolved over that period - initially I used to the lathe for the production of mechanical wooden boxes - machining wood.

I've figured out most of the stuff in his kit - now that I'm getting a lot more into milling metal, there is more of it that will be useful.

So here are a few things I can figure out or that are puzzling in other ways. Hope to tap into the wealth of knowledge in this community.

First off, a set of clamps:

Not much of a puzzle what they are - however what's weird is the jacks thread in 3 - 4 full revolutions and then bind up quite tightly. So tight that you can't run them thru by hand. I haven't forced them. They clean enough that they should run through. It's possible that they don't go with the jaws but that doesn't make much sense to me. Why so tight?
Second question - what does one use clamps like this for when machining?

Second item:

What is it and how do you use it?
The ball ends and adjust-ability suggest that you can take and/or transfer measurements with it.
There is a square flat bit on the (bottom) end for marking?

Third item:

Again, I'm just guessing - the two shafts can be screwed in two orientations. Could be used (again) for taking inside readings of openings, setting mill cutter height etc.
Whatever - it's not obvious to me.

Forth item:

Parallels - with an odd profile?
They are about 6" long.

And finally:

I know that these are used on a surface plate or at least a flat table to measure or check height - but how and what are the typically used for?

Hope this is the right place for this sort of post.

-Dave

Third item is a planer gauge, fourth is a set of grinding hold downs. Planer gauges are handy for lots of things given their adjustability. The grinder hold downs utilize their tapered edges to bite into/against nonferrous materials to hold them on a magnetic chuck.

Number one is a toolmakers clamp for holding non-parallel stuff together, woodworkers use them too. I've got a bunch that I've rarely found a use for. Number two is part of a scriber for marking parallel lines from an edge. Number 4 is just some weird stuff he threw in the box because we all collect weird stuff in case we can find a use for it.

Parallel clamps
Indicator bar for a surface or toolmakers gage
Planer gage - indespensible tool , use mine all the time .
Could be S/G hold downs but don't look like they are split or hinged . Maybe he used these as straight edges ?
Home made surface gages for scribing lines .

Surface grinder hold downs - Like this:

Weird stuff that might be useful (even if I don't have a surface grinder).
Still Googleing the other stuff.

#2 "part of a scriber for parallel lines" there is one more rod in the kit with a ball end and threaded hole in the other end. Doesn't look like it attaches the two parts pictured in any way but could be related.

Thanks for the pointers.

I have a set like that and was taught they are a small item hold down. They go in a vice kinda like you have them only with the part all the way in the bottom of the vise.
The thick edge is not 90 degrees to the bottoms and puts a downward force on your small item when the vice is clamped on it. The part is then clamped both down and between the jaws.

I have a set like that and was taught they are a small item hold down. They go in a vice kinda like you have them only with the part all the way in the bottom of the vise.
The thick edge is not 90 degrees to the bottoms and puts a downward force on your small item when the vice is clamped on it. The part is then clamped both down and between the jaws.
That second picture is just something I found on the web.
I'll have to look into using them that way.

Yeah, I was wrong about the "surface grinder " part on the hold downs, I've used them for that before but that's not what they were designed for.

I don't think there are any more parts to the second item. If it's use for parallel scribing, I don't see how.

Did find a marking on it:
"The L.S. Starrett Co
Athol, Mass U.S.A
Pat. Mar 17. 1896"

No big deal, but it's not a homemade thing.

I don't think there are any more parts to the second item. If it's use for parallel scribing, I don't see how

It goes onto a surface gage and you can attach indicators and such to it .

Ugh , why wouldn't you just put the piece in a vise ? No need for hold downs . :dunno:

Back