Whats The Best Deal On Import Axa Toolpost

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
Sadly, Jeff at Tools for Cheap is closing up shop. I need to buy an AXA wedge and a few holders. Who has the best value these days?

Also, what is the largest AXA toolholder size for square tooling?

Thanks

John

CDCO is ~$120.

As far as I know, 1/2" is the max.

I found that an Enco Phase II with at 20% coupon and free shipping was very close to the price of the cheaper imports. You just have to wait for the coupon to arrive.

Also, what is the largest AXA toolholder size for square tooling?

As Mike said, standard AXA capacity is 1/2" but they make an oversized tool holder that takes a 5/8" tool bit called the AXA-1S. Just be sure you can still get on center with larger tools.

has anyone tried a BXA on a Logan 10? I hope to get a Heavy 10 or 12 inch one day and don't want to re-tool

The folks over at DroPros recommended this one to me when I bought my lathe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTAR-AXA-...309441?hash=item3f4a3ad5c1:g:qawAAOSwd0BV1Ubd

Probably a better deal than the $120.00 one since it comes with extra tool holders.
I have one, and so far I am more than happy with it. It required really minimal cleanup, and is pretty consistent when I swap tools back and forth.

BXA is too big for a 10". The AXA is just small enough for my 11". I would not bother with tooling bigger than 1/2" unless you have a stash of tools that size already. You will run into problems getting it on center. Besides, 1/2" tooling is already more rigid than a small machine to begin with, you do not gain much from 5/8" tooling. If you really need one, it is only an hours work or so to put make one from scratch, and yo can make sure your tool will actually be on center.

Back