What's the best shop idea ?

Pete

Nice vise, is that a quick release lever under the handle ?
What voltage are you outlets ? The placement of you outlet saves having the cords run all over the top of the bench.

Hal

Yes, a 6" Record No.36 quick release vice - it had been badly abused in the past but I got it back to a usable state http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/record-bench-vice-restoration.48067/

South Africa have a nice chunky 240 Volt, 16 Amp plug as standard - great for the workshop and the power tools, a little less space efficient for all electronics in the house - Multiplug adapters get pretty large. They are starting the process of changing to a new smaller plug as standard - hence why I replaced these sockets in the kitchen to fittings which had both socket type on them - but that is going to take decades to catch on.

My default wall covering in all my shop spaces is peg board (painted with a light colored semi-gloss paint to make it easy to keep clean and to brighten the space), even where shelves, benches, or cabinets will be going. That makes every non-covered wall space available for hanging tools and materials, even under benches and over doorways. The photo to the left shows part of one wall covered with some of my tools for removing dents from band instruments. I keep some smaller and more fragile tools and supplies in drawers and plastic parts boxes or on shelves, but with peg board everywhere I can fit a huge number of tools--along with steel, brass, aluminum, and plastic rod stock--into a relatively small space.

Bill
When I built my custom cabinets for my shop I made the backer out of peg board instead of solid melamine or plywood so every cabinet can have pegs when appropriate. I find it far more useful than a giant pegboard across the wall (where a cabinet should be). Best part was finding three sheets of white pegboard in the cull lumber section at Home Depot because a corner had been damaged on all three, like someone ran the pallet into a rack or something. Less than 1 square foot of damage, but 70% off. If I hadn't seen that when I went to pick up materials for another part of the project I doubt it would have occurred to me to use it in the cabinets.

When I built my custom cabinets for my shop I made the backer out of peg board instead of solid melamine or plywood so every cabinet can have pegs when appropriate. I find it far more useful than a giant pegboard across the wall (where a cabinet should be). Best part was finding three sheets of white pegboard in the cull lumber section at Home Depot because a corner had been damaged on all three, like someone ran the pallet into a rack or something. Less than 1 square foot of damage, but 70% off. If I hadn't seen that when I went to pick up materials for another part of the project I doubt it would have occurred to me to use it in the cabinets.
I've used pegboard in the back of a cabinet before too, which is a great idea, but I was referring mainly to situations (an unfinished basement or garage) where there wasn't any wall covering to start with, and using full sheets of pegboard instead of drywall, plywood, or chipboard--about the same price but with total flexibility for "tool hanging."

Bill

In our old shop it had become very dark from years of welding, grinding , wood stove and just time.
It was like working in a cave. We had the ceiling and walls painted white.
What a difference that made. It was like you opened the big sliding doors and let the day light in.

Hal

Lights are always great! Leather machines, belt sander, lathe, milling machine, band saw all are on wheels! Nice for cleaning or rearranging when new equipment jumps in your truck! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dust and dirt flying around in the workshop is an inherent problem. I don't get to use my workshop a lot these days so to keep my tools clean and free of dust I haung clear plastic sheets ocer the shelves, everything stays nice and clean now.

P_20170326_170534[1].jpg

P_20170326_170526[1].jpg

P_20170326_170516[1].jpg

My current house had an unfinished 20' x 20' shed out back (which in hindsight was probably the deciding factor in it becoming my current house!). Being short on time I paid contractors to install an electrical panel, lighting, interior walls, and paint.

In addition to putting in LOTS of (LED) lighting and chest high utility outlets, I thought I was incredibly clever to have them make one of the interior walls out of 3/4" construction grade plywood rather than gypsum wallboard. Now on that wall I never have to look for a stud when hanging tools or whatever on the wall. It doesn't take paint nearly as well, but who cares in a shop?

Now in hindsight, I was incredibly stupid to have them make three walls out of gypsum wall board. Most of them have half sheets of 3/4 ply screwed into the studs.

Other things I can recommend for any shop:

• Vinyl floor tiles to cover the concrete floor. Saves tired feet and dropped tools. If I did it over again, I'd choose a flat surface rather than the diamond pattern I've got now: easier for carts/whatever to roll over, and easier to find dropped parts.
  • These things with 1/4-20 all-thread are great for hanging shelves and other things from exposed beams/rafters: https://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-rod-plates/=16x30bg
  • If your wifi signal reaches the shop, a Sonos Play:1 speaker for streaming music (or ballgames with MLB.tv)
  • Ikea solid bench tops and construction grade 4x4s make great work benches.

Yes, a 6" Record No.36 quick release vice - it had been badly abused in the past but I got it back to a usable state http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/record-bench-vice-restoration.48067/

South Africa have a nice chunky 240 Volt, 16 Amp plug as standard - great for the workshop and the power tools, a little less space efficient for all electronics in the house - Multiplug adapters get pretty large. They are starting the process of changing to a new smaller plug as standard - hence why I replaced these sockets in the kitchen to fittings which had both socket type on them - but that is going to take decades to catch on.

Yes a nice chunky 240 V with 16 Amps we have the same in Australia. Although plugs and sockets are 10 and 15Amps. Traveled around southern Africa in 2014 but don't remember Ladysmith.

Back