What's the best shop idea ?

Never move into a shop with out having the walls, ceiling painted and the floor finished.
It's amazing how fast a shop fills up.

You guys a posting a lot of nice shop tips.

Hal

Traveled around southern Africa in 2014 but don't remember Ladysmith.
Not surprising, Ladysmith is about 1/2 way between Joburg and Durban but is bypassed by the main motorway so you wouldn't go there unless you were intending to.

Never move into a shop with out having the walls, ceiling painted and the floor finished.

Hal

I will second that, just have almost finished putting stuff back after wiring and sheetrock, painting. What a pain in the rear.

If you run a lot of steel parts look at getting yourself a magnetic nail sweep, they are only around $30-$40 USD. I have found its a lot easier to clean up the floors with one of those then it is trying to get steel chips out of everywhere(it even pulls chips out of the cracks in the floor). They also have a quick release built in so you just have to hold it over your metal bin, pull the release and all the chips fall off.

nail sweep.jpg

I think many good ideas have been mentioned. One that hasn't been covered is the time it takes to overcome our procrastination to accomplish a shop project that's beneficial to everything that happens in our shops. It could be anything from painting a wall (white preferred) to installing an electrical outlet or a light. The paint and light helps with the vision and the outlet helps with the time saved stringing an electrical cord, along with the safety factor (trip/fall) involved. My experience has always been; Why did I wait so long!

My shop is for my business but even with 3.500 sq. ft. I still deal with the 10# in a 5# bag syndrome (addiction) to acquiring metal working equipment, along with not sell something I no longer use. With the exception of my old Lodge and Shipley lathe and 1980's Bridgeport mill, the remainder of my shop equipment is sheetmetal/welding fabrication related, but this still requires isolating grinding (abrasive) projects from shears, brakes, and anything that has a way or gib coated with lubricant.

Even when I do the shop layout to scale prior to moving in, I still encounter space issues or find myself walking around something which adds too many footsteps to the process. A few pieces of equipment require a forklift bigger than my 5,000# lift so I try to position things one time. Losing 200 sq. ft. (more than most hobbists work space) on my last move has been a struggle. After moving my sheet storage rack about a year ago, I discover I need to turn my shear 90° from it's current position. It's only been about two months since this epiphany so hopefully I will get this done soon. I'm hoping a pivot on one anchor bolt will prevent running new electrical.

Those threaded rod plates look pretty cool, and might not be to hard to make if you've got a drill and a welder.

However, I feel like for most people's needs, unistrut attached across however many rafters or joists (depending on your shop situation) with fitted plates inside and bolts or chunks of all thread through them allow for really nice and fairly easy hanging shelving or whatever else you have to hang. I did a lot of this in my previous home shop, if pictures are needed to make it make sense, I'll try and find some pictures of those.

Hal

Agree 110%. When I built my last shop in the early 90's I ran out of money right about the time I was getting ready to do insulation, sheetrock and lighting. I opted to move in my tools and equipment and work to generate some revenue then I would finish it. My sweet wife talked me into just finishing it before moving in. As much as it pained me to do, I borrowed about $5k to completely finish the shop including taping, mudding and paint. I then moved in and went to work in which I was able to pay off the small signature loan in about 3 months.

At the same time a couple of friends were building shops and opted to wait and finish as they could afford it. One NEVER got done and he is now finishing it off so he can move. He mentioned how upset he is that he is finishing it off for someone else to enjoy but he never did. The other friend finished about half of the shop but never moved the tools and equipment to finish the other half. That was 25+ years ago.

I concur that I would never move in and start working until the shop it completely finished.

Mike.

The best shop idea I've had to increase my enjoyment was actually my wife's idea, not mine. Last July (2016) my wife snapped one day at the junkyard neighbors I had and how badly our neighborhood was deteriorating. She said we were moving and she wanted me to have a larger shop and a place to store our coach indoors and I could tell there was no changing her mind this time.

I have been absent for many months now trying to get into our new home and construct my new shop. The best idea was in fact to move and build a bigger shop so I am not tripping over myself trying to work.

My new 3k square foot shop behind our new to us home on 3/4 acre lot.
2zric00.jpg

Concrete scheduled to pour on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. They are currently hanging sheetrock. Hopefully be in the shop working and making chips soon.

Mike.

Mike, I'm in Riverdale by day, Layton by night. Let me know if you need a hand when you're ready to move in to that beautiful new shop. I'll PM you my info.

That's the best idea , BIG BIGGER BIGGEST . The better your shop will be depends on the size. I never heard anyone complain there shops so big they cant work in it. The more room the better the storage and working area. Keith Rucker on YouTube built a excellent shop building , separating the wood and metal shops. It's the best shop layout I've seen for the hobby or working man.

Back