What’s this?

jcp

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Does anyone recognize this tool? Morse#2 shank, with a ball bearing (6201 ss) supported tool holder. Holder is threaded 1/4 - 28 with a 1/4 “ cross drilled hole. It came with my Southbend 9A. I bought this lathe from an old gentleman that built all wood clocks. Gears, shafts, etc. we’re from wood. I don’t know if it’s from the clock shop or something else.
Any guesses?AC0C39D8-D6BC-444A-B807-88BB5C3D0D06.jpegA3DA709E-60F9-4C04-BC30-D613C0BDEF07.jpeg

Maybe part of a home built sensitive drill or tap holder? Minus the chuck, of course.

-frank

When I first looked I would have said a reamer holder but not now as the head does not float. Ya got me.

"Billy G"

Maybe part of a home built sensitive drill or tap holder? Minus the chuck, of course.

-frank
Could be....hadn't thought of that.

I would say its a live center that was designed to have interchangable tips.

LCK - Super Live Center Kit.jpg

It only has a single row ball bearing......not very stable.

Did not claim it is a quality piece. :cool:

The knurling does kinda throw my idea out the window. Can't think of anything else that would be a morse taper, and have a bearing, and a non threaded cross hole. Now I'll be thinking about it all night.

Reactions: jcp
Any chance you could call the seller up on the phone and ask him? And think of any other questions you might have to ask too. I wouldn't mind a buyer calling and asking a question or two.

Any chance you could call the seller up on the phone and ask him? And think of any other questions you might have to ask too. I wouldn't mind a buyer calling and asking a question or two.
I purchased this lathe about 10 years ago and the old gentleman was 84 then. Wouldn't have a clue where to look for him now. I ran across the tool again recently and thought someone here might have a clue as to it's purpose as I never could come with anything. Thanks for the responses.

Back