What's Up With This Tailstock Center?

Riaan

Registered
Registered
I've been browsing my local online classifieds and saw this pic (small combination mill/lathe).

1438156064_821514384_2.jpg

Is that center profile normal? Or is it a sign of a dead center that never saw a drop of lube? What gives?

Thanks!
Riaan

I got one that looked like that with a lathe it was done by hand and not concentric but they had been using the lathe for wood turning so I guess it worked well enough.

Live centers are not lubricated. Also face plate is missing used to drive the lathe dog. The center should be 60 degrees. I agree the angle was cut for a special project.

That's an interesting stack up on the cross slide. Never seen something like that before. I agree with everybody else on the center, somebody made it that way for something.

Agree it looks like a purpose made center, but something else I find curious.... am I looking at the photo wrong or is that a LOT of tool overhang?

Tom

Agree it looks like a purpose made center, but something else I find curious.... am I looking at the photo wrong or is that a LOT of tool overhang?

Tom

the tool with all the over hang appears to be a boring bar. If so you do what you gotta do.

the tool with all the over hang appears to be a boring bar. If so you do what you gotta do.
Agree about one of them, but the other looks like a grooving or parting tool. I could be wrong, though. I was once before. ;)

Tom

Possibly used for offset taper turning, in conjunction with a radius cut center hole.

the tailstock center was ground poorly by hand by an inexperienced operator

QUOTE="JimDawson, post: 334682, member: 29628"]That's an interesting stack up on the cross slide. Never seen something like that before. I agree with everybody else on the center, somebody made it that way for something.[/QUOTE]

Hey Jim,
that's a stock import drill/mill/lathe compound slide/milling vise on top of the compound- i had one on a 3 in 1 machine a while back

Back