What’s your long running project ?

I have a 1987 fxstc. haven't been able to ride this year because of the cancer though.

G'day Bill, sorry to hear you've got cancer, I knew you weren't well, but for some reason I thought you just had a crook back, like me.

FXSTC, that would be a softail custom I guess, 1340 early evo motor, nice bike, I rented one of them for a day when in Rhodos, Greek islands, Back in '94 rode right around the island with my then 20 Yr old son on the back,

At that time back home I had a 1993 FXRSC Also 1340 motor. Shipped it to USA in 2003 for the 100 years home coming tour, had a great time. Stayed for 3 months, did about 25,000Km. That bike did about 150,000Km including twice around Australia, when I sold it and got the Road King in 2010. Which has now done about 130,000Km.

Well, I started out thinking about building a cuckoo clock about 1985 - but that doesn't really count as 'project time', does it?

I finally started actively puttering on it in spare shop time about 4 years ago and almost have part of it up and running now.

Today's portion of the project was making a hub for one of the chain sprockets. And it was also an excuse for a 'learning exercise' on TurboCad and porting it to the 3D printer. Photo attached.

View attachment 248171

Check with me again in another 4 years :)

Stu

Regarding TurboCad: The $150 'Deluxe' edition is worthless for a machine shop if you're getting into 3D printing. Any round 2D graphic objects extruded into 3D solids will end up as 14-sided polygons. Fitting round shafts into 14-sided polygonal holes is an exercise in lunacy. I'm planning on upgrading to a real solids modeler but will try the free download first to be sure it's not another mistake.

I have seen some pretty amazing stuff done in solid works. rotating machine parts and assembly demonstrations, I have no idea how easy or hard it is to use, I have just seen the demos, I can't even do 2D cad. I also believe they offer a free trial. Good luck.

I've restarted the rebuild of my Fairchild AT-21, after having it in deep storage for the last 20 years now. I've spent most of this year chasing down all the radio equipment for it while I clear some other stuff out of the way. Will start with the small steel parts first, due to space limitations.

Looked it up on Wiki. That one might take a day or two to finish. Cheers, Mike

Looked it up on Wiki. That one might take a day or two to finish. Cheers, Mike

You aren't kidding Mike. I figure I will surpass 500 hours in making jigs and fixtures before too far into it. If my count is correct, there are 75 jigs required to make the ribs for just the wings and the flaps alone.

Back