Wheel rubber help

Ropata

Registered
Registered
I'm currently working on restoration of a 1961 Mossner German made bandsaw. One of the wheel rubbers need repair so I'll be sending it away. Neither wheel seems to be crowned, is this common?

Attachments

• 20190728-164538.jpg
    20190728-164538.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 20190727_130129.jpg
    20190727_130129.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20190727_150834.jpg
    20190727_150834.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190727_151328.jpg
    20190727_151328.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 175
very cool project! :grin:

i can't say for wood cutting saws,
but -meat cutting saws almost never have a crown to the wheels

This is a metal cutting saw although it goes fast enough for wood. The wheel guy thought it was odd that they weren't crowned.

Centering is done by wheel tilt, metal cutting bandsaws don't have tires but all the wood ones that I've seen have and the wood saws have crowned wheels to help center the tires. The surface the blade runs on ends up flt though.
Think about how the blade works as it traverses through being twisted. A blade that gets stretched or belled by wheel crown will not run true in the work.
Awesome saw! I am envious.

I once read that the crown on the bandsaw wheels both center the blade but also keep the inner offset teeth and the wheels from being damaged due to the clearance the curved wheel gives compared to a flat surface. I guess that is something to consider!

Centering is done by wheel tilt, metal cutting bandsaws don't have tires but all the wood ones that I've seen have and the wood saws have crowned wheels to help center the tires. The surface the blade runs on ends up flt though.
Think about how the blade works as it traverses through being twisted. A blade that gets stretched or belled by wheel crown will not run true in the work.
Awesome saw! I am envious.
My metal cutting bandsaws and all others that I have seen except the Marvel #8 with twisted blade, have had rubber tires.

Cool saw!

What I love is there is no "common" from the different responses. If the machine has not been modded it seems it's whatever the manufacturer decides. My converted 14" wood to metal vertical bandsaw has the same rubber tires as stock and cuts metal wonderful. And the crown is in the tire, not the wheel.

I have seen several ways. no crown, crown on the wheels, and crown carved in the rubber, after installing the tires. All my metal bandsaws, have a rim on one side of the wheel that the backside of the blade rides against, and the teeth hang just off the edge, so they do not get hurt, and can stay clean.

If replacing tires, I would definitely go with urethane. Yes, all 4 of my wood bandsaws have urethane tires. Bandsaw tire warehouse, or something like that on Ebay, can make any size you need. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Just proves that there is more than one way to skin a Possum. Every single metal bandsaw I've ever seen had no tires regardless of size and every wood bandsaw I've seen did have except for the ones in mills such as paper processing plants. I thought it may have something to do with metal chips getting embedded in the tire if fitted but apparently not. So end of the day blade speed is all we have to worry about then?

Back