When it just "looks wrong"!

How about angle iron instead of lift eyes? A piece of 1-1/2 X 1/4 L would do. Drill, mill, grind a hole big enough to take a strap or chain hook on one side and directly across dril the 6mm hole and then just bolt it. You can use a washer or two between the L and machine for spacing if you need too. I You can grind or cut away on the 6mm side to get clearance if needed. have never used a lift eye. I just don't have any. I would have to order them and good ones are expensive. I have plenty of angle hookups as described. I usually use a 5/16" or 3/8" bolt to pick up transmissions, engines, even truck bodies and frames. Just make sure the bolt is tight so there is no way it can bend. If you can upgrade to 8mm you will feel better about the whole thing.

I do like, and I have used drilled angle before, though I admit it's just because I have (had) a chunk of angle iron handy. This machine is different! The entire top cast iron planer table, made as two pieces joined, lifts up on big hinge pins with built in springs, then the vacuum chips collection swings into place to work it as a thicknesser. That cast top table has clearance holes that the lifting eye-bolts have to pass right through to get to the frame.

It is securely bolted down onto the "crate pallet" plywood base with four M10's, and the only access to even get a spanner (wrench?) onto them is to take off the steel front and back panels. Before even attempting lifting on a hoist, it needs to be separated from it's crate base. Then either while lifted, or temporarily set across timbers, you install the adjustable feet.

This gadget is most definitely not plug-n-play!

Back