when you don't shovel the roof

I remember that white stuff from when I lived in Minnesota, six decades ago. Nasty stuff, I think they called it snow. ;) Nothing like that in the California central valley. But less than a month ago a hail storm came through my neighborhood with a narrow swath only a few blocks wide. My house was right in the middle of it. We got three inches (75mm) of 1/4" (6mm) hail over about a two hour period. It stayed on the ground for three days in places. Totally unheard of here. I stayed home, was not going to play bumper cars with with a bunch of slippery road rookies...
Truth is, I was an active ski bum for a couple decades and also did ski mountaineering and winter high mountain backpacking... Did plenty of driving in snow.

I had a big chunk of ice fly at me on the highway from a truck trailer. It just missed the windshield and put a dent in the roof of the car.

That's why I moved to the deep south all those years ago. Allergic to snow and ice and cold. Just a tornado now and again. But they never come too close, the mountain chain is full of iron ore.

Back