Where can I buy a Hex Key Gauge?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
Every machinist chest I ever bought has had at least a dozen hex keys (allen wrenches). Now I've got 12 pounds of them (not kidding - I just threw them all on the postal scale.) all jumbled up into one big pile. Does anyone sell a hex key gauge - something like those flat metal drill gauges with all the holes but this would have hex-shaped holes instead? I'd like to sort them out into sets and keep a couple each of metric and imperial, get rid of the other 10 pounds worth. I thought I'd use my cheapo HF digital calipers to quickly sort them but the @%^ thing gives different readings each time I use it and there is no way I'm sitting down with the magnifying visors and a real micrometer to measure each one - I'd rather throw out the whole 12 pounds and just buy new sets if it came down to that. Surely someone makes a gauge of some kind right?

Never heard of such. But,my SET of hex wrenches has a set of holes in the stand to fit them into. Could you try drilling holes into a block of hard wood,and driving a hex wrench into each hole to make a hex hole. Lable them,and use the holes to sort your pile out. OR,set several socket head cap screws into a block of wood,label them and use them for a gauge.

...........I thought I'd use my cheapo HF digital calipers to quickly sort them but the @%^ thing gives different readings each time I use it and there is no way I'm sitting down with the magnifying visors and a real micrometer to measure each one............

While the HF caliper may give different readings each time, I doubt the it's the difference between one hex size and the next.

Gotta use the same patience and perseverance you use when machining. :)

hex.JPG

M

hex.JPG

While the HF caliper may give different readings each time, I doubt the it's the difference between one hex size and the next.
If it was just imperial sizes then yes I could guess which one it is, but when you throw in the metric there's really no telling.

Quite a few hex keys will have the size stamped on them. Takes a magnifier to read it.

But time is money. When my pouched set of HF allen wrenches starts looking snaggle-toothed from missing sizes, I just pick up a couple more sets the next time they go on sale - for $3.99
It's not worth my time to sort through my box of keys.

If it was just imperial sizes then yes I could guess which one it is, but when you throw in the metric there's really no telling.

I think digital calipers and a chart are the way to go.
I think I'd have to have 20 or 30 bins or something similar marked with all the likely sizes and their decimal equivalents.

Like this http://www.hardwareworld.com/files/pi/lA/9/KZQZ.jpg

Use these charts http://www.edsebooks.com/paper/inchmetric.html

Actually I have a better one hanging on the wall. It's the back page out of an old Perfect Circle engine parts catalog. It shows all the fractional and metric sizes in one chart, in order by decimal size

Then measure and toss in the appropriate bin.

Many tears ago I switched all my allen wrenches to Eklind fold up sets.
I think they are the best.

Eklind allen wrench set.jpg

Eklind some of the best. Buy good ones they have sizes stamped on them. Only have to buy once if used right.

I have a problem picking th right wrench from a bucket of wrenches. Here is one way to combat that problem. Color code the wrenches

I assigned a different color to each size Allen wrench. Those of you who have worked with electronic projects will recognize the the colors representing the numbers 0 through 9. The Imperial sizes are represented by by solid colors while the metric sizes by colors with diagonal stripes. U cut the strip out and wrap them around the shank of the wrench and secure the wrap with clear tape. Clear heat shrink can also be used.. Keep an extra sheet or two for easy reference.
Allen Wrenches.JPG

Back